Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dannie
    • By dannie 9th Jan 19, 10:50 AM
    • 1,857Posts
    • 4,390Thanks
    dannie
    Renewal of NHS exemption certificate delay.
    • 9th Jan 19, 10:50 AM
    Renewal of NHS exemption certificate delay. 9th Jan 19 at 10:50 AM
    Due to the above being either the fault of the GP surgery and/or the Business Service Authority, would it be possible to avoid future prescription charges, as the fault did not lie with the recipient ?

Thanks.
Page 1
    • Sncjw
    • By Sncjw 9th Jan 19, 12:28 PM
    • 2,053 Posts
    • 1,214 Thanks
    Sncjw
    • 9th Jan 19, 12:28 PM
    • 9th Jan 19, 12:28 PM
    How long was there left on the certificate when applying for a new one?
    • dannie
    • By dannie 9th Jan 19, 2:45 PM
    • 1,857 Posts
    • 4,390 Thanks
    dannie
    • 9th Jan 19, 2:45 PM
    • 9th Jan 19, 2:45 PM
    Thanks for replying Sncjw.

One month was left on the medical exemption card.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 9th Jan 19, 6:50 PM
    • 10,124 Posts
    • 7,742 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 9th Jan 19, 6:50 PM
    • 9th Jan 19, 6:50 PM
    I suspect it's up to the patient to apply in good time. IME, delays are unusual, how long are we talking about?

Alternatives would be to order items before the exemption cert expires, or pay, (getting an official receipt), and reclaim when the new exemption cert is received, not satisfactory, obviously.
    Last edited by pmduk; 09-01-2019 at 6:52 PM.
    • dannie
    • By dannie 9th Jan 19, 7:17 PM
    • 1,857 Posts
    • 4,390 Thanks
    dannie
    • 9th Jan 19, 7:17 PM
    • 9th Jan 19, 7:17 PM
    Thanks for the reply pmduk.

The time period delay is nearly two months now. Both two renewals have not been successful. From what I believe, the first renewal was not accepted as the GP surgery sent the wrong form to the Business Service Authority whereas the second form apparently never reached them (and was the same as the first incorrect one anyway). Awaiting further instruction at the moment; surgery trying to obtain the correct forms this time?

Thanks for suggesting "alternatives". Will have to check my exemption status. I agree that payment is unsatisfactory.
    • MarkN88
    • By MarkN88 10th Jan 19, 8:49 AM
    • 533 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    MarkN88
    • 10th Jan 19, 8:49 AM
    • 10th Jan 19, 8:49 AM
    How did the GP send the wrong form?

You would of had to ask for the form to fill in so therefore surely you knew you were completing the correct one?

All the GP does is stamp and sign to confirm.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 10th Jan 19, 9:25 AM
    • 10,124 Posts
    • 7,742 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 10th Jan 19, 9:25 AM
    • 10th Jan 19, 9:25 AM
    I've always obtained the form (Form FP92A) from my GP and posted it myself. I'd have to pay any penalty so, I like to retain control. I've never had anything go astray on the post to NHSBSA, though obviously, it could happen.

Are you entitled to free prescriptions under any other route? benefits, low income etc?

There's a useful page here, you might have already seen it.
    Last edited by pmduk; 10-01-2019 at 9:29 AM.
    • Flugelhorn
    • By Flugelhorn 10th Jan 19, 9:38 AM
    • 1,274 Posts
    • 1,677 Thanks
    Flugelhorn
    • 10th Jan 19, 9:38 AM
    • 10th Jan 19, 9:38 AM
    As a GP I tick the appropriate box, sign the form, put the practice stamp in the right place, put the patient's name on the form and then hand it to them to "fill in the rest and post it themselves". Never had a problem with delays - if there was then the usual thing would be for the patient to pay for the meds and get a receipt and then when the delayed card arrives they can get a refund.
    • tazwhoever
    • By tazwhoever 10th Jan 19, 12:17 PM
    • 1,079 Posts
    • 242 Thanks
    tazwhoever
    • 10th Jan 19, 12:17 PM
    • 10th Jan 19, 12:17 PM
    My current 'Medical Exception' card runs out in March. How long before can I apply for renewal? The card that expires every 5 years.

Thanks
    • dannie
    • By dannie 10th Jan 19, 12:33 PM
    • 1,857 Posts
    • 4,390 Thanks
    dannie
    Thanks for the replies. Will update soon as possible.
    • dannie
    • By dannie 10th Jan 19, 4:09 PM
    • 1,857 Posts
    • 4,390 Thanks
    dannie
    Sorry for the delay. I had just had communication with the surgery which did not run "smoothly".

Thanks for all the replies.

MarkN88 - Yes, on both two occasions, the form was given to me via "Reception." Form completed by myself both times, personally returned to them for GP to confirm/post.

pmduk - Yes, thinking similarly "to retain control" ( e.g. photocopy the fully completed form next time and send it recorded delivery). Not checked your link yet but strongly do not think it will apply.

Flugelhorn - Thanks for detailing your surgery procedure.

My surgery has said the same as yourself regarding paying and then obtaining a refund later. Even though I have completed the advised form which was sent on time twice.

tazwhoever - I was informed a month before expiry (via a letter from the Business Service Authority) that a new form had to be completed. Maybe your doctor would allow your form to be completed earlier, if asked.
    Last edited by dannie; 10-01-2019 at 4:12 PM.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 10th Jan 19, 7:02 PM
    • 10,124 Posts
    • 7,742 Thanks
    pmduk
    My current 'Medical Exception' card runs out in March. How long before can I apply for renewal? The card that expires every 5 years.

Thanks
    Originally posted by tazwhoever
    I'd look to do it a month before expiry, and order meds a week before expiry if not received, I need 12 items every couple of months and just wouldn't have that sort of spare cash.
    • dannie
    • By dannie 10th Jan 19, 7:46 PM
    • 1,857 Posts
    • 4,390 Thanks
    dannie
    Query about the FP92A :-

To the right of the "PATIENT DECLARATION", do the characters and digits refer to anything such as your GP surgery (as this would be the most likely thing that changes* to the previous two that I sent).

* The Business Services Authority are sending some FP92A forms to the GP surgery as they don't know why mine was not accepted.

Thanks.
    • Flugelhorn
    • By Flugelhorn 10th Jan 19, 7:54 PM
    • 1,274 Posts
    • 1,677 Thanks
    Flugelhorn
    The numbers on the right are the same for all FP92A forms at present the forms do change from time to time as different conditions are included / changed.
    • dannie
    • By dannie 10th Jan 19, 8:22 PM
    • 1,857 Posts
    • 4,390 Thanks
    dannie
    Okay, thanks Flugelhorn. So, if the surgery sent the correct form, the only other possibility is that they colour photocopied it and therefore not an original?

Cannot think of anything else. Concerned that the third attempt at renewal will fail.

Thanks
    • dannie
    • By dannie 11th Jan 19, 8:58 AM
    • 1,857 Posts
    • 4,390 Thanks
    dannie
    From what I understand, on the Business Services Authority website*, after completing a few details, you can check if you are medical exempt and if so the length of time remaining. Also, by obtaining a printout of it, it may be taken anywhere as proof.

Has anybody used this method? Good or bad experiences? Is the proof completely accurate and hence a valid document.

Thanks.

* Cannot get link to work.

Last edited by dannie; 11-01-2019 at 10:06 AM.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 11th Jan 19, 12:38 PM
    • 10,124 Posts
    • 7,742 Thanks
    pmduk
    No, I've not used it, however, if you find that you are still exempt you'd just tick the box on the prescription and it would be checked at a later date - no need to use anything as proof. I've also found a page here might be useful, could your practice be using photocopies or horrors: blue ink?

If your link can't give you the expiry date, why not call them to ask if the exemption certificate can be backdated to today so that you can have a prescription dispensed? Make a note of the time, date and name of the person involved if they agree to this to avoid later issues.
    Last edited by pmduk; 11-01-2019 at 1:03 PM.
    • dannie
    • By dannie 11th Jan 19, 1:44 PM
    • 1,857 Posts
    • 4,390 Thanks
    dannie
    pmduk - Thanks for your information. The link does state that I am still exempt. When my first FP92A form did not get accepted, my GP surgery informed me that I had been given an extra month by the Business Services Authority whilst the second FP92A would be being sorted out. I am wondering whether this has happened again regarding the third FP92A (not sent yet). Hope that's clear. Communication seems to be more or less lacking clarity regarding my case from the above departments.
    Last edited by dannie; 11-01-2019 at 2:40 PM.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 11th Jan 19, 2:57 PM
    • 10,124 Posts
    • 7,742 Thanks
    pmduk
    I hope you get this sorted, I've never heard of such a rigmarole (un)fortunately I'm 60 in 3-4 months so this will all be behind me thank goodness.
    • dannie
    • By dannie 11th Jan 19, 4:19 PM
    • 1,857 Posts
    • 4,390 Thanks
    dannie
    pmduk - Thanks very much. It did not seem right the other day when the GP receptionist said something like "What do you want me to do, pay for it myself?" This was after I had commented that it was "unsatisfactory" i.e. me paying prescription costs when it was not my error.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

45Posts Today

2,833Users online

Martin's Twitter