Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • nicdigby
    • By nicdigby 10th Jan 19, 8:03 PM
    • 42Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Contribution based ESA
    • #1
    • 10th Jan 19, 8:03 PM
    Contribution based ESA 10th Jan 19 at 8:03 PM
    I would like to find out if I am entitled to contribution based ESA.

    I have not worked in the past four years but have been claiming enhanced rates of PIP + Carer's allowance + child benefit for that time and the NI website says I have 52 weeks of history for the past few years BUT I CAN'T WORK OUT IF THAT IS ENOOUGH TO QUALIFY ME FOR CONTRIBUTORY ESA.

    I have a terminal illness and cannot work. I also have a disabled child so claim child tax credits with those rates.

    BUT I live in a Universal Credit full area. I am currently on the old system of child tax credits and because I have some savings left, when I move to UC I will lose £820 per month. Which I still can't believe, but that's what all the calculators tell me. So I don't want to do anything that counts as a change in circumstances and moves me across to UC.

    Does anyone know if:

    1. I have earned enough NI contributions to be eligible for contributory ESA JUST from the fact that I have received full child benefit, carer's allowance and PIP for the past few years?

    2. If I submit a claim for contribution based ESA and successfully receive it, will they just move me across onto Universal Credit and therefore I will be worse off after receiving ESA than staying on child tax credits etc with no ESA?

    3. If I submit a claim for ESA and am unsuccessful, will this trigger a change to UC for me?

    4. Who can I ask for help about all this?
Page 2
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 11th Jan 19, 11:04 AM
    • 1,941 Posts
    • 1,300 Thanks
    Having thought about it, even after you have increased your income by claiming ESA rather than CA I assume your total taxable income is still going to be well below the CTC threshold (£16,105) so you will still be entitled to maximum Child Tax Credits (about £780/month?).
    • nicdigby
    • By nicdigby 11th Jan 19, 11:20 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Does spousal maintenance or child maintenance count as income for these purposes?

    Other than those my income pcm is:
    250 pension
    Child tax credits 820
    Carers allowance 277
    Child benefit 134

    + Pip for me and Dla for my child (are these counted as income for these purposes, surely they canít be?)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

81Posts Today

2,410Users online

Martin's Twitter