Changing My Motability Vehicle?

Hi,
I've had a Kia Stonic on Motability for the last 5 months or so. Can I change it for a more economical car, as at 33mpg it is hard to run off my non-existent income?

Comments

• OCL wrote: »
    Hi,
    I've had a Kia Stonic on Motability for the last 5 months or so. Can I change it for a more economical car, as at 33mpg it is hard to run off my non-existent income?

You would have to ring Motability and ask. Nobody here knows what their answer will be. If they allow it, they can charge an early termination fee (I think it is £250), but they have some discretion about charging this. You will not receive a good condition bonus.

I have returned two cars early, and wasn't charged on either occasion. I did have very good reasons though - both needed extensive repairs due to mechanical faults, and the first couldn't be driven at all. Motability were very helpful.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,932 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I'm not sure that this will be a good enough reason to change your car just 5 months into the lease agreement. If we could do that then i'm sure a lot of people would be doing it. By all means ring them to ask but don't be surprised if they say no.
  • What was the MPG given in the Motability data. Currently there are 7 listed on the Motability website.

Kia Stonic 2 1.4 is 49mpg - Manual
    Kia Stonic 1.0 GDI is 51mpg - Manual
    Kia Stonic 1.6CRDi is 70mpg - Manual

Kia Stonic 1.0 is 51 - Automatic

Worth looking up your model on the Kia / Motability website, if there is a significant difference it's worth arguing with to Motability. Also remember a 4-wheel drive will give less MPG. I drive a 1.5 Ford Kuga Automatic and get 23mpg!
  • OCL
    OCL Posts: 5 Forumite
    My car is the Kia Stonic 1.0 GDI is 51mpg - Manual, and on Kia's website is is specified as 51.4mpg, however I don't get anywhere near the efficiency stated: for example, today I got 28mpg out of the car.
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    I bet the official quoted figures are extra-urban figures though.

How and where are you driving the car to get your mpg?

My wife and I drive her Honda very differently and I routinely get around 8/9 mpg better than she does.
  • OCL
    OCL Posts: 5 Forumite
    The stated value from Kia is the combined value. I drive both urban and extra-urban, but probably a little more city driving.
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    OCL wrote: »
    The stated value from Kia is the combined value. I drive both urban and extra-urban, but probably a little more city driving.
    So how heavy is your right foot?
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,932 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    You'll always get significantly less than what they recommend you'll achieve. What you achieve will depend on your style of driving, where you drive and the weight of your right foot. Based on MPG alone, i honestly don't think that's a good enough reason to change your car at this very early stage.

If you're only achieving 31mpg in a 1.0litre car then you'll most likely not achieve much more than that in any other car.

I drive a 1.6 auto Suzuki Vitara around town miles only as i very very rarely drive long distance now and i get 39mpg from mine. So you must be very heavy footed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure