Car hire at Dalaman, Turkey airport

Hi,
Going to Dalaman Turkey for a week in April. Landing at 21:30 and return flight is at 22:30.

I would like to know there are any catches for using the "meet and greet" service for car hire as compared to having a car rental desk at terminal.

"Skyscanner" is taking us to "DiscoverCarHire" who are booking us with "Babadan Turizm".

Should I enter 22:00 as meet and greet time? What happens if our flight gets delayed? Our resort is 90 kms away, so I want to be able to relax about this. Business hours on DiscoverCarHire show the business hours as 24x7 though!

P.S. We have just been bitten by a terrible experience at Barcelona when the rental desk at airport closed at 2200 and our flight had landed just before that.

Comments

• meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Why not get a taxi to the hotel and pick up the car the next day ? No stress then. We use a private transfer from Dalaman to Olu Deniz, there are lots to choose from. It's normally about £65 return so I would imagine it would be about half for you.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,571 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Obviously it's your choice but I go to Turkey every year and never bother hiring a car.

Taxis are plentiful and while I'm there I either use them or get a dolmus.

Have you driven in Turkey?
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    psarinuk wrote: »
    Hi,
    Going to Dalaman Turkey for a week in April. Landing at 21:30 and return flight is at 22:30.

I would like to know there are any catches for using the "meet and greet" service for car hire as compared to having a car rental desk at terminal.

"Skyscanner" is taking us to "DiscoverCarHire" who are booking us with "Babadan Turizm".

Should I enter 22:00 as meet and greet time? What happens if our flight gets delayed? Our resort is 90 kms away, so I want to be able to relax about this. Business hours on DiscoverCarHire show the business hours as 24x7 though!

P.S. We have just been bitten by a terrible experience at Barcelona when the rental desk at airport closed at 2200 and our flight had landed just before that.

Set it for later, but also enter your flight details. That way they will know when you arrive, but you won't be hemmed in by putting too early a meet and greet time.

Have you purchased car hire excess insurance?
  • psarinuk
    psarinuk Posts: 352 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    Set it for later, but also enter your flight details. That way they will know when you arrive, but you won't be hemmed in by putting too early a meet and greet time.

Have you purchased car hire excess insurance?

I chose meet and greet as all desks close at 10 pm anyway. I have put 10 pm (flight lands at 9:30 pm) as meet and greet time. Also spoke with Babadan Turizm who said they will wait if the flight gets delayed. Have entered my flight number and phone in the booking. Also noted their 24*7 contact number.

I have not bought excess insurance yet. Any recommendations?

Thanks.
  • EveryWhere
    psarinuk wrote: »
    I chose meet and greet as all desks close at 10 pm anyway. I have put 10 pm (flight lands at 9:30 pm) as meet and greet time. Also spoke with Babadan Turizm who said they will wait if the flight gets delayed. Have entered my flight number and phone in the booking. Also noted their 24*7 contact number.

I have not bought excess insurance yet. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

https://bettersafe.com/car-hire-excess-insurance-category.html

Daily UK & Europe £1.99
    UK:
    The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland plus
    the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.
    EUROPE:
    All countries to the west of the Ural Mountains including the
    United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland, Iceland, islands in the
    Mediterranean, Morocco, Tunisia, Turkey, Canary Islands,
    Madeira, and the Azores but excluding any Trip in, to or
    through Belarus.

or an annual policy if you intend to take more trips throughout the year.

https://www.quidco.com/bettersafe/

https://www.topcashback.co.uk/bettersafe/
  • psarinuk
    psarinuk Posts: 352 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 22 February 2019 at 1:53PM
    Thanks Everywhere. I bought a week's worth of car hire excess insurance with Bettersafe.

BTW, the following is mentioned on my car hire voucher:
    You need to pick up the vehicle by 22:59 on 9 April 2019. If you don't show, the booking will be automatically cancelled and no refund will be provided. In case of any possible delay, please contact the BABADAN RENT A CAR & TRAVEL AGENCY representative to agree on an extension of the waiting period. Representative will be waiting in arrivals hall with a sign

I feel I made a mistake with 10 pm meet and greet (we do not have any checked in luggage). Should have taken the next choice as 11 pm.
  • EveryWhere
    You'll still need to provide a credit card from which they can block their excess. In the event of any damage, make sure you get a full invoice before you leave their office and then present it to the insurance company for reimbursement.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure