How to use a credit card efficiently?

Comments

• Awesome, I've actually set up my DD to come out of my savings account as I now transfer around 1/3rd of my wage into my savings account per month anyway, so that is going to also benefit me, the fact that i'm in habit of doing that already, thanks for your info!
    Debt Free wanna-be in a year.
    £15000 debt in October 2017
    £0 in October 2018
  • I was thinking the same, If i were to only spend £90 of my limit, that would be a bit pointless.
    £0 in October 2018
  • zagfles wrote: »
    If you pay it off in full it'll probably show you can manage credit.

Just don't make the mistake of thinking £1000 is your monthly spending limit, it isn't, it's the total credit limit.

For instance if you pay it by DD which is usually 25 days after the statement date, you'll have nearly 2 months spending outstanding on it.

That makes sense, To be honest, my original plan of action was to use it for petrol and shopping, then pay what ever I spent on those two things straight back using my debit card, but if everyone is saying to take advantage of the direct debit facility, i'll probably just do that instead.

It makes more sense as you say, it will show that I have intention of paying back borrowed credit, which in the long run, benefits me.
    £0 in October 2018
  • Fingerbobs
    Fingerbobs Posts: 1,638 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Mjfender26 wrote: »
    I’ve actually got a ‘Barclaycard Reward Card’ on it’s way to me in the post as we talk here.

I’ve looked into the aqua card etc and the APR% was ridiculous.

The Barclaycard was the best option, with the lowest %

The APR% is irrelevant if you pay in full every month.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,610 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    That makes sense, To be honest, my original plan of action was to use it for petrol and shopping, then pay what ever I spent on those two things straight back using my debit card, but if everyone is saying to take advantage of the direct debit facility, i'll probably just do that instead.

It makes more sense as you say, it will show that I have intention of paying back borrowed credit, which in the long run, benefits me.

If you pay it off straight away, rather than waiting for the statement, then the balance reported to the CRAs would be zero making it look like you weren't using the card. Wait for the statement and let the direct debit pay it in full. When you first set up the DD it can take a while so check your statement to make sure that it says 'will be collected by DD' as the first one might not and you would need to pay manually.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Called them today to tell them I wanted it to be taken on a specific date, so that is now in place.

I also asked the lady on the phone for advice on how to efficiently use it , she was very helpful, and also added "Your credit must be a lot better than you suspect because you've gotten our platinum service card, which is our highest/best offering credit card".

So that was a massive bonus to myself too.
    £0 in October 2018
  • Lol - “Platinum” is the name for their standard card they issue - it’s nothing special (sorry to pee on your bonfire there!!).
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    because you've gotten

Were they American?
  • Just joined this forum but don’t know how to post a question....please help?

My question is: I’ve just received the m&s balance transfer credit card recommend on mse in January. Wanted this for the purpose of transferring my next directory card balance. Just tried to do this and have been told that next only accept payments and do not provide account details to credit card companies to allow balance transfers. Really angry!!! Help please
  • Claddagh_Noir
    Claddagh_Noir Posts: 212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 February 2019 at 9:34PM
    I use mine on the day the statement is made up. For example, if my statement is made up on 19th of the month, I will use the card then or just after. That way, no payment will be due 25 days later (16th March for example). It would in fact be due the 16th of April when the statement is made up on 19th March.

I always pay for my cards in full either by direct debit or paying it in advance on their website.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure