Marriage Allowance

I am the zero tax payer, my husband pays the basic rate. I transferred the eligible 10% to my husband a few years ago.... not sure which year! I was successful that year. Does that mean the transfer will automatically be made every year, or do I need to reapply for this and any unused years? Will the facility continue every year, unless I tell HMRC that something has changed.

Comments

• According to Martyn Lewis on the TV last night no less, it carries forward each year until you tell HMRC otherwise..
  • If you/your spouse ever do decide to stop Marriage Allowance you need to be careful who notifies HMRC.

I think if you, the transferor, stops it then that takes effect from the start of the next tax year but if your spouse were to stop it then it is cancelled back to the start of the claim however many years ago that was.
  • Asghar
    Asghar Posts: 433 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If you/your spouse ever do decide to stop Marriage Allowance you need to be careful who notifies HMRC.

I think if you, the transferor, stops it then that takes effect from the start of the next tax year but if your spouse were to stop it then it is cancelled back to the start of the claim however many years ago that was.

I thought if one stopped the claim then it would take effect from the start of the next tax year and if the other spouse stopped the claim then it would be cancelled/backdated to the start of the current tax only.

Without checking not sure which spouse (receiving or giving the 10%) has which effect.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,016 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    https://www.gov.uk/marriage-allowance/if-your-circumstances-change

It no longer states about the allowance being removed back to the first year of claim if the person receiving he allowance cancels it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure