Gas Supplies NI

Options
Cotta
Cotta Posts: 3,667 Forumite
Hi All,

I have rently moved into a property that it is heated via a pay as you go gas card through Airtricity. We seem to be topping up around £20 per week which seems a lot when my partner and I are both not about during the day when the heating is not on. Is this a normal price or is there potential to shop around?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It might depend on:

How big the property is?

Double glazing?

Insulation?

The type of gas radiators are you heating water as well, cooking with a gas cooker?

I am in a two bedroom flat and pay £40 a month all year round, that means I build up during the summer for the winter. I do not have pay as you go meter but what is called Easy Saver Card. I pay and the money comes off my bill when it arrives usually in credit. My last bill was taken in December for the quarter before that was £132+ which I thought high. But I was still £48+ in credit towards the next bill.
  • belfastgirl23
    Options
    I have gas heating and doesn’t sound outrageous to me in the height of winter unless the property is very small.
  • Cotta
    Cotta Posts: 3,667 Forumite
    Options
    I have gas heating and doesn’t sound outrageous to me in the height of winter unless the property is very small.

Small property with two bedrooms, we maybe on a good rate I just dislike not knowing.
  • belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 3 February 2019 at 4:39PM
    Options
    This from Martin’s guide for NI:

You can't save much by switching gas

While savings can be made on electricity, unfortunately you can't save by switching gas.

There are only two gas suppliers in the Greater Belfast area – Firmus Energy and SSE Airtricity. Each offers a single tariff – and at the moment there's very little price difference between them.

Thought it was worth a check myself!
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes, I am SSE Airtricity and a friend is Firmus Energy she is in a one bedroom flat her gas bill and mind are basically the same.
  • CEON44
    CEON44 Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    £20 per week not bad really. My father in law lives alone in 2 bedroom pensioners bungalow and uses nearly £40 per week on gas. He cant stick the cold so its on all day. If he gets too warm he opens a window but keeps the heat on!
    I started out with nothing......And still have most of it left:p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport