Ugent Advice Needed Please

I needs urgent advise please u kind and knowledgeable people.

My sons both started playing in a Junior football team from last sept in the U9's and U11's team. for this I had to pay £50 in July during the trials, £50 in Sept and another £40 in Jan (now) so total £140 for the season.

In October my younger son in the U9's started getting bullied by another player so I raised this with the coach he was quite slow to deal with it but did get it sorted eventually.
During the past 4 months upto the xmas break my son in the U11's has hardly been given any game time and always been used as sub etc. by the coach. even though he has been totally dedicated and always turning up to training and matches.

Last week they started asking for the last installement (£40) so I text the welfare officer/chairman at the club and asked him if he could please give me some clarity on the situation with my son in the U11's going forward before I pay any subs as if he is not in the coaches plans I may aswell take him out as its disheartening for him and myself if he is not even playing much.

2 days later he text me back saying after having spoken to the trust and coaches it has been decided to deregister both my sons and removed from the club and the reason given as "I am always complaining".

I phoned him immediately and he said because I complained last time about the bullying and now because of this they come to this decision and it will not be changed.

He wants to come and collect their kits I have send him a text saying as he is being unreasonable and not giving me a valid reason for the removal of my kids from the club then I expect all the monies paid so far (£200) to be refunded back to before he can have the kits back.

My question is is this a reasonable request can I do this?

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,719 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    No it doesn't sound like a reasonable request given that include doing the trials your children have had 6 months worth of club involvement. Particularly as they were thinking of pulling them out anyway.
    What does your agreement with the club say?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • atlantis187
    atlantis187 Posts: 1,442 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    They don't know I was thinking of pulling my son out because of lack of playing time, I just asked for some clarity before paying anymore subs money.
    the contact says £140 to be paid for the complete season in 3 installements. now as they are pulling them out mid season without proper reason even though I haven't paid the last sub they should refund me back for the money paid so far.
  • pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 22 January 2019 at 6:47AM
    No, but if you're lucky they won't ask you for the balance.
    Running a club is an expensive business and unfortunately impossible to keep everyone happy as children and/or parents have different expectations and understanding of ability.
    The money you are paying is to cover cost of equipment, booking pitches, clothing etc. all of which your son has had even if he is often a substitute.
    If you feel that you were given unreasonable promises about how often your son would play then, by all means, complain about the money you have paid, but do not hold on to the kit if it doesn't belong to you, that is theft.
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Nope, you sound wholly unreasonable and this won't help your case in trying to assert that it is the club which has been unfair.

Check your membership agreement for specifics as well - if it is the club terminating their membership you may have more chance of a refund/partial than if it is you doing so.

Unfortunately paying subs doesn't come with a 'right' to playing time and the costs are much wider than just for those on the pitch on match day.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,299 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Have you considered the fact that your child is just not the best of players and the coach is doing the right thing and picking the best. Football teams are picked on skills not because someone has not had a turn .

I think the club have been more than reasonable and it's their choice if they wish to remove them.

It's £140 a year with an option to pay by installment , you still owe one installment.

I'd expect them to chase it up if you refuse to pay
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Your subs pay for equipment, coaching, and training - not match time. If your kids are being coached and trained and are improving, then that's your money well spent.

The club will rightly put the best kids on the starting team, the next best will sub, and those who show no promise will stay in training until they are good enough. It's how it works.

If your kids go to another competitive sport, the best advice (as a coach) that I can give is have them condition at home.

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • When I played kick ball, I was often on the field as much as I was off it! Not that you want to hear that. My great uncle was a scout and often went around the local clubs etc etc. if he turned up at your game, he was watching someone, but not you! You were by then too old. He did get a couple, or more than a couple of youngster in his time,

Or in other words, if the likes of matt Busby has not picked your star by the age of ten, I would consider another career for him.

On a side, I played with a John who thought he would be on the books at the local football club and would boast about it! He never did get a look in either, and in all my time I have only ever seen one player who came through the youth to actually play for the club.
  • Tallaght
    Tallaght Posts: 1,632 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    If the 2 were good players i am sure they would be included in the first 11.A coach cannot promise a player will not be sub on a regular basis.
  • If there is an agreement refer to that. But like the others have said you may be lucky not to be charged for the rest of the season.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure