• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 20 November 2018 at 9:50PM
    Thanks in advance.:)
  • System
    No his daughter is not in an apprenticeship it's just part time work on a 0 hours contract . He does have full contact with his daughter on good terms.x
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Kaxxy wrote: »
    No his daughter is not in an apprenticeship it's just part time work on a 0 hours contract . He does have full contact with his daughter on good terms.x

Was just checking. In which case I'd suggest that you report it to Child Benefit and continue to pay.

I know it's a pain in the backside and any overpayment may not be returned, but ultimately it's a small price to pay for a month or two. And on the plus side he can still tell his daughter that he has always paid support
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 20 November 2018 at 6:25PM
    This is an iffy one as it sounds like she is not earning enough to pay her mother any keep. (On a full week we are talking under £100). Are you able to house her if he stops contributing & her mother says sorry I can't afford to keep her without his help anymore? Yes I am sure if she is not in education or training (if he can prove it) then his contribution could stop, only he can decide if this is the correct thing to do. Just remember too that a zero hours contract is effectively no contract at all!
  • Why does he want to stop supporting his teenage daughter?

I thought it was compulsory to be in education or training until 18 now?
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    edited 20 November 2018 at 8:59PM
    Do you not feel that getting the child's parent prosecuted might not damage your husband's relationship with his daughter beyond repair ?
    If you are the one driving this rather than your husband then perhaps you should seriously consider if your marriage would withstand him blaming you. If he wants to drag his ex through the courts and deal with the fallout, let it be his decision alone.
    Good terms are often worth more than a few months of child support.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • Comms69
    Why does he want to stop supporting his teenage daughter?

I thought it was compulsory to be in education or training until 18 now?

Compulsory, but not really.

16-18 is one of those areas the govt tends to make a rule, but not enforce it.
  • Comms69
    duchy wrote: »
    Do you not feel that getting the child's parent prosecuted might not damage your husband's relationship with his daughter beyond repair ?
    If you are the one driving this rather than your husband then perhaps you should seriously consider if your marriage would withstand him blaming you. If he wants to drag his ex through the courts and deal with the fallout, let it be his decision alone.

TBF the state would drag it through the courts, no-one should claim benefits not owed (that's a societal issue) and the daughter is of an age where it's unlikely mum has as much influence as 10 years ago.
  • System
    Thanks he is planning on giving his daughter money, and she always has a place here. At the moment the money isn't being spent on what it should be anyway!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure