PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Help me find an affordable place to buy a house

homeless9
homeless9 Posts: 340 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 4 October 2018 at 9:34PM in House buying, renting & selling
Hi Everyone....

Prices in the South East, specifically within a 20 mile radius of Guildford, are too damn expensive. I have almost given up buying here. I can afford to buy a property up to the value of £220,000. Around here that basically buys you a 1 bedroom flat and not much more, which might be alright for some, but these apartments just don't cut it for me. I am single and have no ex-wife or kids - I can move anywhere in the UK. I would love to own a house with a garden. I have browsed online and come across nice new 2 and 3 bedroom homes under my budget, these properties are amazingly cheap to me in comparison to what you can get for your money around where I live - the problem is - I have no idea what the locations are like.....

If you guys and ladies have visited, lived in, or live in, a safe location that isn't in the middle of nowhere, in which 1 or 2 or even 3 bedroom homes can by purchased for under £220,000 - please let me know.....any locations within the UK are welcome....

Criteria:

- A safe location, somewhere without anti-social behaviour, somewhere where you can walk down the street and feel completely safe and at ease.

- A location that has typical UK town amenities such as a Gym, a local Supermarket, Parks, shops, railway stations..... I don't mind living in a City, I don't mind living in a medium-large sized town, but living in a village with no shops, gyms, railways, is not for me. I am 30 years old.

I am self employed and work from home. Location does not affect my work. The only thing I need is an internet connection and a nearby Post Office.

Comments

• Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Are you currently working? What will you do for work when you move?
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • 220k will get you a 3 bed semi in reasonable (ie not posh but not rough either) areas of most cities in the North and Midlands.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,270 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    We live in Sherborne in Dorset which is a very desirable area. It's a fairly quiet area though but not too far from the coast

I had a look on Rightmove and there's some quite nice properties in your budget.

Once you move out of the South East/Home Counties you will be spoilt for choice.

I think you need to pin down the areas you want to live first. Or more importantly the areas you don't want to live
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Would also help to know what your definition of "middle of nowhere" is, as different people's perspectives vary.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Really think it's too vague a post.

You must have some requirements.

You're going to get tonnes of areas mentioned, and in each area there will be tens or hundreds (or more!) properties. You really need to have a list of must haves re the area, then same with the house.

Please don't add overseas into the mix just yet LOL.

I'll throw Newark into the hat. You should be able to get something there. It's apparently not quite as lovely as it once was, but I used to really like it there. Market town, river, shops, nightlife, easy London access if needed.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • ukcarper
    ukcarper Posts: 17,337 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 4 October 2018 at 5:40PM
    Quite a few in Bordon just over 20 miles from Guildford

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-66035380.html
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Glasgow, outskirts of - I'm looking at Stepps, can't afford it yet but that's my aim. Lots of similar places around.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Bury in Lancashire. There is a tram to Manchester from the centre of Bury.
  • How much money do you actually have?

You say you "can afford" £220k, but is that based on a mortgage?
    If so, the mortgage debt repayments will be based on the assumption of your current job.
    So where can you move to whilst keeping your job?
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,200 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    4 bed detached in Telford
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business