Reputable Financial Advisor

Looking for a reputable financial advisor based in North West. I say reputable because I'm sure there are some rogues amongst them.
I started out with nothing......And still have most of it left:p

Comments

• I wish I good help....it is a nightmare, I was recommended someone and went to see him regarding my meager pension pot, 3 years on I have never had so much as a letter or email, I would ask as family and friends to see if they can suggest anyone.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,963 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If you can't find a recommendation from family or friends, ask a few IFAs if they have any customers that you could speak to. Ideally you would be able to speak to at least one long-time customer and one new customer to judge their experiences. Be careful to check that they have no connection to the IFA, other than as a retail customer. It would also make sense to ask to speak to customers who have similar needs to your own.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • CEON44
    CEON44 Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Vegastare wrote: »
    I wish I good help....it is a nightmare, I was recommended someone and went to see him regarding my meager pension pot, 3 years on I have never had so much as a letter or email, I would ask as family and friends to see if they can suggest anyone.
    I'm actually asking on behalf of family. My sister in law has a small pension pot and needs proper advice. I'm sure there are a few in the area but finding a good one is the killer. Hopefully someone will chip in with some first hand experience. My sister in law would be willing to travel further than North West for good advice
  • steveymp
    steveymp Posts: 2,797 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My parents have used Graeme Morrow Ltd in the Waterside for years and never had a bad word to say about him, he has handled investments, ISA's and pensions for them.

Had a quick check with companieshouse online there and not sure if the man himself has retired now and someone else continuing to use the company name, but worth a look.

Remember all IFA's provide a free initial consultation, all there work and advice is probably free as they earn on commission from investment sales, it may be worth making an appointment with several of them and seeing what they have to offer. Never feel under obligation to have to sign up to anything on the day, always look into anything in your own time before committing ;)
    I am trying, honest;) very trying according to my dear OH:rotfl:
  • Vegastare
    Vegastare Posts: 998 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    You see I too wanted to see someone about my small pension pots of which I have 3, I just felt that the problem was my pot was too small for them to benefit, and the option they talked about was to be followed up with there suggestions in writting. This never came, I felt let down and it was awkard when my friend partner asked how it went!!

Another friend went to see a pension advisor at Skipton Building Society, so that is another idea.
  • CEON44
    Graeme Morrow Ltd in the Waterside
    Graham Morrow is listed online as "Permanently Closed" Pity, this is the type of recommendation I was looking for
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    IFAs are parasites. If the host isn't rich enough they won't attach.
  • CEON44
    fred246 wrote: »
    IFAs are parasites. If the host isn't rich enough they won't attach.
    My belief as well. But surely there is one decent one somewhere in the area??
  • steveymp
    steveymp Posts: 2,797 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    CEON44 wrote: »
    Graham Morrow is listed online as "Permanently Closed" Pity, this is the type of recommendation I was looking for

Sorry for the out of date info, he may well have retired now, probably on my parents commission :rotfl:

It is worth seeing a few for a free consultation to see which one offers the best advice/lowest commission rate.
    I am trying, honest;) very trying according to my dear OH:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport