Garage repair costs

Hi,

I need to get a mechanic to fit a new caliper, pad carrier and pads as well as bleeding the brakes.

How much is this likely to cost me?

I've got the parts here - I just need them fitted.

Also, how much would a breakdown truck approximately be to take the car approx 50 miles to my home so I can fit myself?

Thanks.

Comments

• ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,065 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    What areas for recovery truck?
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I'd imagine the a towtruck would be £150 to £200. As it will take them about three hours to get to the car, load it and return.

A mechanic will be about £200, but I think you will save money if your car is stranded by paying a mobile mechanic to take you to the car and to replace the caliper, carrier and pads where it is. If the car can be driven without bleeding the brakes, I would drive it back home and get the brakes bleed there.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • ballyblack wrote: »
    what areas for recovery truck?

bt6 - bt44
  • tacpot12 wrote: »
    I'd imagine the a towtruck would be £150 to £200. As it will take them about three hours to get to the car, load it and return.

Yip, that is the quote.

A mechanic will be about £200, but I think you will save money if your car is stranded by paying a mobile mechanic to take you to the car and to replace the caliper, carrier and pads where it is. If the car can be driven without bleeding the brakes, I would drive it back home and get the brakes bleed there.

£200 labour? :think: I've already got the parts.
  • tommie
    tommie Posts: 380 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Is this some special make of car or what??!!

Jack car up - wheel off - clamp flexible brake hose - unscrew caliper brake pipe - unscrew bolts holding caliper\caliper off - fit new caliper/pads - bleed that wheel only.

Competent mechanic, about 20mins if that...
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    tommie wrote: »
    Is this some special make of car or what??!!

Jack car up - wheel off - clamp flexible brake hose - unscrew caliper brake pipe - unscrew bolts holding caliper\caliper off - fit new caliper/pads - bleed that wheel only.

Competent mechanic, about 20mins if that...

+1

Certainly not £200 labour.

An hours labour, two hours tops if he wants to stretch it out a bit. Depending on where you are a mechanic might be £20-£50 per hour.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Why don't you post the figure you end up paying? Then we'll see.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • £60.
    I bought parts.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    £60.
    I bought parts.

Good to see i havent lost my touch. :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories