Definition of Formal letter re gym membership

mandi
mandi Posts: 11,932 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker Stoptober Survivor
edited 11 December 2012 at 7:28PM in Dealing with debts & debt disputes
icon1.gif
Hi ,

Looking for some help please .

My son has a gym membership which he has been unable to use since September due to reallocation .

He spoke to the gym early October and they said that if he provided a letter from his employer to state this they would allow him to cancel .

Because he is away it took several weeks to get the letter which clearly stated his name etc and was signed by his branch manager staiting that he has been working away since September .

In the meantime they have continued to charge him his membership and several amounts of admin fees .

Today he has received a letter stating that they will not cancel the membership as the letter was not a " formal document " they advise that they will continue with the fee and admin charges , and threatening further action .

What would your advice be please .

Thank you ,

Comments

• Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    edited 12 December 2012 at 10:22AM
    mandi wrote: »
    icon1.gif
    Hi ,

Looking for some help please .

My son has a gym membership which he has been unable to use since September due to reallocation .

He spoke to the gym early October and they said that if he provided a letter from his employer to state this they would allow him to cancel .

Because he is away it took several weeks to get the letter which clearly stated his name etc and was signed by his branch manager staiting that he has been working away since September .

In the meantime they have continued to charge him his membership and several amounts of admin fees .

Today he has received a letter stating that they will not cancel the membership as the letter was not a " formal document " they advise that they will continue with the fee and admin charges , and threatening further action .

What would your advice be please .

Thank you ,
    I would advise he keeps up with his monthly payments in line with the contractual agreement he entered into.

If this gym is one of a national chain, perhaps there is a local gym of the same company that would accept him under the same membership?

As for a formal letter, I guess the gym are looking for the original one the employer provided, stating the relocation and perhaps giving details of the relocation package, etc. Best would be to ask the gym what eaxctly they are looking for.
  • CAB_Swansea_Bay_representative
    CAB_Swansea_Bay_representative Posts: 287 Organisation Representative
    Hi Mandi, thank you for your query regarding gym membership
    Unfortunately as this is not a debt or debt dispute at this time we cannot advise on your son's best course of action but I would suggest you contact our consumer helpline on 08454040506.
    Hope this is of assistance.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure