PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

November 2012 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Rising from the Ashes- sorry to hear about your hospital stay, and i hope you are feeling better again soon :)

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP! I have defrosted a freezer that i batch cooked. For ow long, and at what temp do i put it in the oven?
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,340 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    WantToBeSE wrote: »
    I am DEFINITELY seeing the advantage this morning, i have just taken a lasagna out of the freezer for tonights dinner :) No cooking for me this evening!!
    WantToBeSE wrote: »
    Rising from the Ashes- sorry to hear about your hospital stay, and i hope you are feeling better again soon :)

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP! I have defrosted a freezer that i batch cooked. For ow long, and at what temp do i put it in the oven?

I echo those sentiments to Rising...

If you mean how long for the lasagna I assume it has been defrosting all day and as long as it is not 4" thick it will be fully defrosted now. I would put it in a moderate oven 180c for 30 minutes to make sure the middle is hot. You could grate a little more cheese on top to "freshen" it for the last 10 minutes or so.

HTH
    SL
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    hahahahaha, what a numpty!! Yes, i meant lasagna, thanks SL!
  • postcode
    postcode Posts: 162 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Chiming in, reducing my budget this month to £60 since the previous two months I have come under budget and I believe it is doable. Been busy the last couple of days making good use of some whoopsied veggies that turned into several simple but oh-so-yummy meals and which are now in the freezer for when I don't feel like cooking.

Will need to stock up on cupboard items, though, and probably make a nice stockpile for christmas/possibility of snow in the nearish future. So here's hoping there are good offers in the supermarkets. ;)
    GC September 2012 - £49.04/£80 |GC October 2012 - £50.28/£80 |GC November £63.59/£60 (one adult only)
  • allie23
    allie23 Posts: 1,857 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Dinner almost ready today. Pork joint been in the slow cooker and HM roasters almost ready. Was hoping this would do us over two days but doesn't look like it will (very small joint but was only £2.99). So Mushroom strog planned for tomorrow.

Lunch wise - Tuna and mayo sandwiches for me and ham sandwiches for OH.
    January GC 2024 £135/£180
    Frugal living Challenge 2024
  • fedupandskint
    fedupandskint Posts: 10,358 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I am very pleased to post this;

I tried the batch cook mince beef recipe from the front page today and made 16 portions from one pack of mince beef. Could have been a bit meatier as I think I overdid the red lentils and oats added however I'm not bothered at all as I like it! I had everything in for it - unused packets of dried beans, lentils and veg in the bottom of the fridge all went in along with basics tomatoes and stock cubes.

Had a portion of spag bol for tea with veg which was lovely

Made 8 portions of chilli, 6 portions of spag bol and a 2 portion cottage pie - all in the freezer now for plenty of easy meals over the next few weeks.

Thinking about trying a beef stew version next or a pork casserole and see how far these can be stretched out!
    final unsecured debt to repay currently £8333
    Proud to be Dealing With my Debt
    DFW Nerd 1154 Long Haul 155
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Rising, sorry to hear you've been ill, please take care of yourself, hope we see you back here in the new year :)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Hi everyone. I have just had my first spends of the month which started on the 26th for us.

Did monthly food order with Approved Foods and got a lot of bargains that i can put in the freezer to use throughout the month. Also got the kids some cheap treats that we don't normally get as its half term and they've got various friends over for tea and sleepovers. Also went to Ald* and stocked up on Super Six Veg before they changed it.

Did a big shop at Mr M as I had a £5 off £40 voucher so I got a months worth of cat food, coffee and dried stuff that I know we'll use. Was quite chuffed as i also managed to get 4 loaves of 15p wholemeal bread and 4 packs of 15p wraps which have gone in the freezer.

Total spend £66.56 :eek: Hope I haven't been a bit ambitious with my reduced budget! I will be checking in regularly for help and inspiration :T

PP xx
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I am feeling very :A this evening. We had a lovely lunch at mums and are still too full for tea (except DS who has had beans on toast). I have used up some bendy leeks and carrots and made soup and have used 2 oranges (the zest was used in a Christmas cake) and 1 soft lemon to make a drizzle cake. Yesterday I made lentil and bacon soup to use up some more bendy veg. I made it in the slow cooker which was a first for me.

I used rice flour in the cake instead of one of the GF mixes I get on prescription and it seems to have given a much better result.

DH had sent an email to Gen1us about some dodgy bread I had and they have sent us a £4 voucher so that will get some treats for Christmas. I have given up on shop bought GF bread as it is just not nice:(

I do not need to buy a lot of food on Friday when I do my weekly shop as we seem to have loads in. I just need to make sure I stick to the list and my meal plan and not put extras in the trolley like I usually do:o
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Hi Coxy11. Could you put me down for £140 for November, please, and it will stay at that each month from now on.
    Better is good enough.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport