DMP mutual support thread part 13 !!

Options

Comments

• Cheesephetamine
    Options
    im on the same boat as you mike, just sent my application yesterday, personally i have stopped all DD to my creditors, as well as these other steps:

I have created a budget with StepChange and I have agreed to the plan by sending them the plan signed and the information about my creditors and income (still waiting a response on the activation of the plan. Just did this yesterday though!)
    I have sent a letter to all of my creditors explaining that I am setting up a plan with the debt charity and asking them to give me a month of breathing space and to freeze my interests and charges while I come back to them (they don´t have to agree by the way, but I´ve heard that most of them are willing to do so, at least for a while). I will copy the basic letter I have sent down below!
    I have cancelled all my direct debits to my creditors (this felt awful as I have never missed a payment yet!)
    I have opened a basic current account with a debit card and a basic savings account in a bank with whom I have no credit.
    I have changed my bills to the new account as well as letting my HR department know that I need my income paid in there.
    I have created a budget accordingly to the plan in YNAB.
    I have put all my other credit cards, debit cards (from accounts I have in overdraft), store cards etc in the back of my underwear drawer. Now I only carry my debit card and £20 in cash. And my YNAB app. Anything I need to buy has to be accounted for from either the cash in my pocket or the cash available in my account at that moment (double checking in mot under budgeting any of my basics!)
    TOTAL DEBT JUNE 2019: £38,233.87 Aiming debt free mid 2023. All bad debt written off / paid by January 2023. No missed payments in 2023. Only one active credit card to pay off! I DID IT 🎉
  • Suseka97
    Suseka97 Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Mike1006 wrote: »
    Hi, I’ve been on to StepChange today and filled out the form. They have suggested a dmp. I will send them the stuff tomorrow. Most off my payments come out on Friday (28th of June) I’m struggling as it is and won’t be able to pay all. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do. Should I pay what a can and then leave it to StepChange ?
    Also as I am new to this and everything is a bit much for me, does anyone have any advice on what will happen and the steps that will be taken and time it will take to sort out?
    Wouldn’t mind hearing from someone who has been/going through it to put my mind at ease

Pretty much all of us who post on here have been there, done it, or are going through it - so welcome.

You've taken the first step and now need to just go with the process. You should cancel all non priority debt payments now, although it's too late for any DDs that are due in the next few days. Cancelling DDs take a little while to work through the system.

Give yourself at least 3 months of making no payments to build up an emergency fund - and by that I mean don't rush to send off paperwork and get the DMP up and running too soon.

This is a start of a journey and its not a race....
  • Growurown
    Growurown Posts: 5,498 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi all, haven't been on this thread for a long time now.

Started my DMP in 2011 and it took nearly 5 years to pay it all off. It was very hard at times, such as when my son got married and when the car went wrong. Christmas and birthdays were difficult, not much spare to buy presents etc.

However we got through it and now I have a credit card again! I use it much more wisely now though. We've moved house and haven't had any problems really with our credit rating affecting what we have wanted to do.

I'm glad I did the DMP, to be honest there was no other way, we had so much debt we couldn't cope any more. The help on this forum was outstanding, so stick at it folks, there is light at the end of the tunnel.
    DMP Mutual Support Thread No. 421

Debt free date 25/11/2015 - Made It!
  • PMarie1981
    PMarie1981 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Hi I'm new here and hopefully this is the right place for the advice needed ��

I've been with step change for a few years now and my current debt is just over £10,000. Six a counts have defaulted and two haven't, one is with very catalogue and the other is argos. Both of these the interest have frozen but showing late payments on my credit file.

Anyway I have been lucky enough to have family who said they will pay all my debt! But I dont know where to start, do I contact stepchange and let them deal with the creditors or do I write to each one that's defaulted and ask for a reduced settlement or just pay the full amount to get it finished with? Also if I pay of Very and Argos, would they then bill me for all the interest I haven't paid. Sorry if that's a silly question but I'm worried I pay off the debts then end up with still owing them further down the line?
  • Mike1006
    Mike1006 Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Could some tell me process off a dmp with sc. and how long it takes in to effect.
    Also seen people say to stop paying for a couple off months to build an emergency fund, is this right ?
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Could some tell me process off a dmp with sc. and how long it takes in to effect.
    Also seen people say to stop paying for a couple off months to build an emergency fund, is this right ?

Hi mike,

As suseka97 has advised above, it’s best to stop all your non priority debt repayments, for about 3 months, just to get an emergency fund saved for the unexpected little things that crop up in life, as once your on a DMP, you will have no access to further credit.

30 days breathing space is currently standard, during this time no collection activity will happen, in reality you can extend this for as long as necessary, debt collection is a very slow process.

You can if you wish write to your creditors and explain your in financial difficulties and are taking advice from Stepchange.
    Once your strategy is in place, you will be back in touch with them with repayment details.

It takes as long as it takes mike, Stepchange will want you sorted and paying ASAP, that’s their main goal, but we always advise that an emergency fund should be saved first.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    PMarie1981 wrote: »
    … I've been with step change for a few years now and my current debt is just over £10,000. Six a counts have defaulted and two haven't, one is with very catalogue and the other is argos. Both of these the interest have frozen but showing late payments on my credit file.

Anyway I have been lucky enough to have family who said they will pay all my debt! But I dont know where to start, do I contact stepchange and let them deal with the creditors or do I write to each one that's defaulted and ask for a reduced settlement or just pay the full amount to get it finished with? Also if I pay of Very and Argos, would they then bill me for all the interest I haven't paid. Sorry if that's a silly question but I'm worried I pay off the debts then end up with still owing them further down the line?
    Hi and welcome to the forum :)

I never used StepChange for my DMP as I self-managed. I believe that SC will want you to evenly distribute the money fairly to all your creditors. If it were me, I would cut out SC from the process and negotiate directly with the creditors. You want to make offers of reduced final figures and see whether they will accept. National Debtline have a letter template that you could use. Below is their factsheet which describes how the process works and includes a link for the template.
    https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/factsheets/Pages/fullandfinalsettlementoffers/lumpsumoffers.aspx

You are far more likely to get a lower settlement figure for accounts that have defaulted than for account that have not.

It is recommended that you delay the start of the DMP by 3-6 months to allow you the breathing space to build a reasonable Emergency Fund. You can send holding letters to all your creditors, explaining what you are doing and giving them a start date for the DMP. A letter template is linked below:
    https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/sampleletters/Pages/Hold-action-on-your-account-%28sole-name%29.aspx
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • Mike1006
    Mike1006 Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I know this might sound daft but is it that easy to set up a dmp with sc ? Seems straight forward. Once I send my forms to sc will they deal with everything after that ? And how likely is it that company’s will reject an amount that sc will offer on my behalf? Sorry about the questions, just want to get this right
  • Suseka97
    Suseka97 Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I know this might sound daft but is it that easy to set up a dmp with sc ? Seems straight forward. Once I send my forms to sc will they deal with everything after that ? And how likely is it that company’s will reject an amount that sc will offer on my behalf? Sorry about the questions, just want to get this right

Yes - it's all pretty straightforward.

It doesn't really matter whether your creditors accept or not, SC will send them the offer of payment with a copy of your I&E which will demonstrate the amount offered is the affordable amount calculated through their methodology of allocation. Most, if not all, will just accept it.

You can expect your creditors to send various letters which outline what will happen if you don't keep up with your contractual payments - this is standard computer generated blurb and something they have to do. Just file those letters away and let the DMP run its course.

Do please take heed of the advice to stop your non priority payments now - and wait a few months before returning the DMP paperwork so that you have time to build that emergency fund. Write holding letters to your creditors as suggested by W2L outlining your situation and plans.
  • thehistorygirl
    Options
    After 5 1/2 years, I’m finally debt free. My last Plevin claim came back yesterday from Littlewoods. I was expecting something in the region of £150, so nearly fell over when the letter arrived stating they owed me £697.24! The PPI premiums only amounted to £46.49 in total too. The rest was made up from charges, where the premium had taken me above my credit limit, and interest.

To be finally free of debt feels fantastic. Just need to get Littlewoods to backdate the default now.
    LBM 7th Jan 2014
    Debt Jan 14 £5443
    Debt Mar 15 £4734
    Debt Dec 2017 £2233 less £393.25 Plevin payment £1870
    Debt Jun 19 £385.55
    DFD Aug 19. Final Plevin payout and last PayPlan payment
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts