Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SandraScarlett
    • By SandraScarlett 24th May 19, 5:42 PM
    • 3,960Posts
    • 28,818Thanks
    SandraScarlett
    Japanese Knotweed - one shoot!
    • 24th May 19, 5:42 PM
    Japanese Knotweed - one shoot! 24th May 19 at 5:42 PM
    My neighbour was watering my garden whilst I was away and has told me he has discovered Japanese Knotweed at the bottom. I had no idea what it looked like.

I've phoned several companies and have had eye watering quotes, just to carry out a survey, and just one has said it was free and they are coming next week.

Once I looked at the area closely, I could see there is just one shoot and I wondered if there is any way I could treat this myself.

Any advice would be gratefully received.
Page 2
    • Farway
    • By Farway 19th Jun 19, 9:07 AM
    • 7,340 Posts
    • 13,896 Thanks
    Farway
    Hmmmmmmm! Well I gave him an empty rinsed-out litre spray bottle, that had once contained Path Clear, and it was returned to me, full.

I asked no questions. He could have said 5, 10, even 50 and I would have paid. I offered him a donation to the charity of his choice, and he said the coffee I made him was enough!
    Originally posted by SandraScarlett

Restores ones faith in human nature, shows not all are out to rob the unsuspecting
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 19th Jun 19, 9:01 PM
    • 4,444 Posts
    • 9,453 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    Being a lab-rat at heart, I was more worried at the lack of safety info and application advice....

But I approve of his mse attitude nonetheless.
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 19th Jun 19, 9:02 PM
    • 4,444 Posts
    • 9,453 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    Restores ones faith in human nature, shows not all are out to rob the unsuspecting
    Originally posted by Farway
    Or that 4:99 for a bottle of water isn't that much of a bargain
    • SandraScarlett
    • By SandraScarlett 19th Jun 19, 11:13 PM
    • 3,960 Posts
    • 28,818 Thanks
    SandraScarlett
    No, I'm sure it was the right stuff, as I can't see anyone going out of their way to visit me, just for cup of instant coffee (though it is Alta Rica!) and I prefer to see the best in people.

This is nothing whatsoever to do with JKW, but whilst at the local garden centre this week, I gave in my voucher for a free cup of coffee, with any cake or "tray bake" - whatever that is.

One of the staff said the scones had just come out of the oven, so I said that sounded nice, and there was a delicious aroma. Immediately the Manager said that a scone was not a cake, and I couldn't have it as part of the deal, so I settled for a slice of coffee and walnut.

Whilst enjoying this, the first member of staff came over, and gave me a foil wrapped parcel and said "this is on me". Inside was a scone, jam, and cream. Now wasn't that kind!

I do like to think that the majority of people have kind hearts. It's just they're not considered newsworthy.
    • BethanyD
    • By BethanyD 20th Jun 19, 9:36 AM
    • 108 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    BethanyD
    Japanese Knotweed infestation can be a serious issue for a homeowner - you can be compensated if the source of the JKW comes from someone else's land, particularly land owned by a public body

I've just Googled and found a firm called Ashcroft Kennedy who give limited advice on their website
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 20th Jun 19, 10:12 AM
    • 28,501 Posts
    • 100,288 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Japanese Knotweed infestation can be a serious issue for a homeowner - you can be compensated if the source of the JKW comes from someone else's land, particularly land owned by a public body

I've just Googled and found a firm who give limited advice on their website
    Originally posted by BethanyD
    I must learn to do this Googling, then maybe I might better understand the relevance of your post at this point.

Does the OP need the services of no win no fee solicitors with a somewhat over-dramatic web site right now?

I'll leave her to decide....
    'I've suffered for my music, now it's your turn.' Neil Innes, introducing 'Protest Song.'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

181Posts Today

1,352Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • So how much work do I actually do on the MSE weekly email these days, now I?m in the exhaulted position of ?Executi? https://t.co/b8XWxPiUwn

• Dear gumtree - I feel I've been sold a kipper. You're advertising has my face on it but I don't do adverts. If yo? https://t.co/kJAuziloOM

• RT @MoneySavingExp: ????This chap ????@MSE_GuyAnker is responsible for delivering MSE's Weekly Email to 14 million people, 52 weeks of the year.?

• Follow Martin