Fishtext...international text service closing

Comments

• redux
    redux Posts: 22,976
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I have, and it's also been used for support queries. Despite last week's reply saying I'd be sent the info this week, it didn't come. Now I have it, and am discussing my suggestion to send to all accounts, or what they count as active.
  • I really like Fishtext and use it most days - happy to have only half the conversation on my phone, and the rest on my (Win 7) laptop. BUT it seems there isn't any demand for a comparable service - I haven't been able to find one, anyhow. IF anyone has found a replacement, I suspect lots of us would love to hear about it. I can't see how Tesco Calling Card is at all relevant - nothing to do with composing texts on a laptop, is it?
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,058
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 31 August 2018 at 11:08AM
    You can compose a text for UK in Messenger on a laptop webpage and it will send from the phone via Android messenger App

Do not know about apple phones

https://messages.android.com/

However for international texting I use Tesco Calling App. Its on mobile phone only but free

• I really like Fishtext and use it most days - happy to have only half the conversation on my phone, and the rest on my (Win 7) laptop. BUT it seems there isn't any demand for a comparable service - I haven't been able to find one, anyhow. IF anyone has found a replacement, I suspect lots of us would love to hear about it. I can't see how Tesco Calling Card is at all relevant - nothing to do with composing texts on a laptop, is it?

I too loved the fishtext but the Tesco International calling App with free texting is better. I only use it on mobile but you can use it on a laptop - just add a 'Android Emulator' on your PC.

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/83812-run-android-apps-on-your-windows-pc-2
    'Wall Street is the only place that people ride to in a Rolls Royce to get advice from those who take the subway'

W Buffett
  • ballyblack
    Forumite
    edited 31 August 2018 at 12:40PM
    but you can use it on a laptop

not on a chromebook laptop though

need a web browser

• pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've not used a chromebook, are you restricted to using chrome? I'd have thought you could use any of the chromium-based browsers.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    There are several Android apps (and presumably other platforms) with cheap or free messages and calls. Credit can be bought or earned free by watching ads or installing other apps.

This means using a different allocated phone number though.

I haven't used things like WhatsApp; is this worth exploring?
  • ballyblack
    Forumite
    WhatsApp is good. Only drawback the other party has to have the app installed on their phone. Most people have it installed.

FREE!
  • Thanks for your advice, Goldcrypto. I see that that it is not al all simple to get the Tesco International Calling App installed on my Windows 7 laptop (have to install Android Emulator, which means having to install Android Studio, and then SDK Manager, and then I suppose try to get the Tesco App installed. All of this is well outside my experience level, even assuming my computer is compatible with all the system requirements). Before I do that, could I check that texts sent with the Tesco App do appear to come from my usual mobile number?
    The beauty of Fishtext was that it was simply a website you signed up to.

BUT if there's nothing like Fishtext after September 6, I'll try that route.
    Has anyone actually successfully installed Tesco International Calling App on a Win 7 Computer, running Firefox? If so I would love to hear from them! Thanks!
  • ballyblack
    Forumite
    could i check that texts sent with the tesco app do appear to come from my usual mobile number?

........................yes!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport