MSE News: Government shakes up energy bills – what does it mean for you?

"The Government has announced a raft of measures to cut the impact of social and environmental programmes on energy bills..."
Read the full story:

Government shakes up energy bills – what does it mean for you?

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• VT82
    VT82 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Switched to a fix with First Utility in October. It was only about a fiver a year less than an equivalent EDF fixed, and the EDF fix would have had zero exit penalty as well.

I hope First Utility will also pass on some of the savings, but I doubt it. Should have gone with one of the bigger players really - more moral hazard for them to be seen not 'treating customers fairly' than for one of the small players who rarely make the news.
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Don't see how this affects what I should have done in October 2013. The Scottish Power March 2015 fix will continue to be more or less the cheapest deal for me. In April 2014, switch if there is a cheaper deal; otherwise carry on until March 2015, smiling.
  • lemontart
    lemontart Posts: 6,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    absolutely nothing as on fixed deal at present
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    I still do not know how the 'rebate' will be given back to customers. The various levies are expressed as a percentage of a bill. i.e. 9% of the UK average which is £112.

For instance Scottish Power say that those on a Fixed tariff 'will only get the £12 WHD rebate'.

Does that mean that those using 50% of average UK consumption will get £6 rebate, and those using double average UK consumption get £24?

The only way to achieve that would be a reduction in the kWh price.
  • jazzy
    jazzy Posts: 1,076 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    What happens to households who have just signed up for a capped and fixed price contract? Will they also be entitled to the £50 reduction?
  • scaredofdebt
    scaredofdebt Posts: 1,640 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Why don't they just knock VAT off fuel, far simpler surely?
    Make £2018 in 2018 Challenge - Total to date £2,108
  • Why don't they just knock VAT off fuel, far simpler surely?

Except they can't (European rule)

I think we need to rebalance our views on how expensive fuel is.

£4 per day for the average property as opposed to £7 for a packet of 20 Bensons and the recent rise will now be a massive....

errr..£5.83 per month more. Times are hard and some will struggle but most of us?
  • All this continues to do is have our taxes continue to subsidise big business.

This cartel need to be held to account.
  • Not sure how this affects me, as according to British Gas website:

"The price reduction will take effect from 1 January 2014, and will apply to all customers, whether on variable or fixed tariffs"

I'm on price protection March 2015, so does that mean my tariff for that will come down in line with any reductions? Sounds like it, but then again...
  • Nada666
    Nada666 Posts: 5,004 Forumite
    Not sure how this affects me, as according to British Gas website:

"The price reduction will take effect from 1 January 2014, and will apply to all customers, whether on variable or fixed tariffs"

I'm on price protection March 2015, so does that mean my tariff for that will come down in line with any reductions? Sounds like it, but then again...
    What are you not sure about?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport