PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Land Registry questions

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thank you so much for your quick reply
  • Head_The_Ball
    Head_The_Ball Posts: 4,067 Forumite
    Options
    It's the date of the deed itself that is added to the shared data so the sale date should be that. So if they dated the Transfer May 2016 then that's the date used

Thank you for your reply.

Is there any way I can get the date changed to May 2011?

Presumably my conveyancing solicitor should have put a date of May 2011 on the transfer even though it was not submitted to the LR until May 2016.
  • jennymc99
    Options
    Hi Land Registry

I have absolutely no idea where to start so any help much appreciated. I bought a leasehold flat in 2011 and a share of the freehold in 2015. The freehold covers three ajoining terraced houses (with 3 flats in each) and we would like to split the freehold so that each house only holds the freehold for that house but we dont know where to start. All flats have an equal share of the freehold and are in agreement to split the freehold.

To complicate matters each flat has its own external areas used as roof terraces or garden that can only be accessed from that flat but are currently shown as common areas on the lease so we need to change the leases to attribute them to individual flats.

We have had three different solicitors tell us different things with some quoting up to £15000 to change the paperwork. this seems incredibly expensive. Is that correct or should we be completing some forms on the land registry site instead?

Many thanks in advance

Jennifer
  • Land_Registry
    Land_Registry Posts: 5,780 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thank you for your reply.

Is there any way I can get the date changed to May 2011?

Presumably my conveyancing solicitor should have put a date of May 2011 on the transfer even though it was not submitted to the LR until May 2016.

I'm afraid not. Once dated and registered that's it, there's no way of turning that legal clock back
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Land_Registry
    Options
    jennymc99 wrote: »
    Hi Land Registry

I have absolutely no idea where to start so any help much appreciated. I bought a leasehold flat in 2011 and a share of the freehold in 2015. The freehold covers three ajoining terraced houses (with 3 flats in each) and we would like to split the freehold so that each house only holds the freehold for that house but we dont know where to start. All flats have an equal share of the freehold and are in agreement to split the freehold.

To complicate matters each flat has its own external areas used as roof terraces or garden that can only be accessed from that flat but are currently shown as common areas on the lease so we need to change the leases to attribute them to individual flats.

We have had three different solicitors tell us different things with some quoting up to £15000 to change the paperwork. this seems incredibly expensive. Is that correct or should we be completing some forms on the land registry site instead?

Many thanks in advance

Jennifer

Whilst you might be able to complete the transfer of each freehold yourselves using online guidance and forms TP1 the variations complicate matters for you. There are no prescribed forms for deeds of variation so you will need legal advice/assistance to have these drawn up.

You are also very likely to find, if your leaseholds are mortgaged, that you need your lenders' consents. And they may insist that you use solicitors also.

Professional fees will vary from firm to firm and we would not know what is expensive or not.
    The key is to assessing what is required and then asking each for a quote as appropriate. As a simple rule of thumb you are looking at
    3 separate TP1s for each freehold part plus 9 Deeds of variation, one for each lease with each most likely resulting in a surrender and regrant of each original lease as you are in effect altering the demises
    If mortgages are on all 9 then you will need 9 Deeds of substituted security (each provided by the respective lender)
    That is a bare minimum and they will also need to look at any other registered interests and their impact
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • DonnySaver
    DonnySaver Posts: 562 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would be grateful of some clarification of my situation please:-

Up until about 10 years ago the ownership of my Mum & Dad's house was in their joint names. My Dad then went through a process via a solicitor to transfer the ownership to myself but with caveats applied that it could not be sold whilst either of them were still living there.

My father recently passed away.
    My mother then received a letter from the Halifax (who keep the title deeds) saying that following my father's death they were happy to keep holding the deeds. They also said that there was no need to change the name(s) on the deeds but we might want to inform the Land Registry.

According to the information on the Land Registry site, the house is not registered with them (was built in the 50s I think).

How do I find out if my Dad's wishes were properly carried out as he expected? ie Who does own the house?
  • Land_Registry
    Options
    DonnySaver wrote: »
    I would be grateful of some clarification of my situation please:-

Up until about 10 years ago the ownership of my Mum & Dad's house was in their joint names. My Dad then went through a process via a solicitor to transfer the ownership to myself but with caveats applied that it could not be sold whilst either of them were still living there.

My father recently passed away.
    My mother then received a letter from the Halifax (who keep the title deeds) saying that following my father's death they were happy to keep holding the deeds. They also said that there was no need to change the name(s) on the deeds but we might want to inform the Land Registry.

According to the information on the Land Registry site, the house is not registered with them (was built in the 50s I think).

How do I find out if my Dad's wishes were properly carried out as he expected? ie Who does own the house?

If the property was transferred into your sole name 10 years ago then that should have been registered or triggered first registration

I'd suggest checking online to see if it is registered and if so in whose name. There is a small fee of £3 but you will need that detail to see what is registered and how their 'life interest is protected for example
  • SerialRenter
    SerialRenter Posts: 611 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 8 June 2018 at 9:02AM
    Options
    I've not got a question, but some feedback.

I used your web form for changing a sales record and has a couple of issues.

Firstly, i used a @googlemail.com address on the form. Little did i know that google sends all mail from @gmail.com, so when i attempted to reply to one of your agents emails, i got emailed a few error messages instead:

The first telling me to reply with the incident number to contact.validation@landregistry.gsi.gov.uk
    I tried that, and i received an email back saying "Our email addresses changed from name@landregistry.gsi.gov.uk to name@landregistry.gov.uk. Please remove .gsi from the address and resend your mail."
    Ok, so i emailed again, but removed the ".gsi" bit. and received another email identical to the first error and i need to use the .gsi email. Round in circles!

anyway, i managed to revert my account back to @googlemail.com to send that email. So basically, the whole thing was my fault, but it seems to have uncovered a flaw in your IT system.
    *Assuming you're in England or Wales.
  • DonnySaver
    DonnySaver Posts: 562 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If the property was transferred into your sole name 10 years ago then that should have been registered or triggered first registration

I'd suggest checking online to see if it is registered and if so in whose name. There is a small fee of £3 but you will need that detail to see what is registered and how their 'life interest is protected for example

Thank you for your reply. I am unsure whether it is form OC1 or OC2 that I need to fill in (sorry).
  • Nikkilevel27
    Options
    Good morning.

I'm in the process of purchasing a property.

I've just had a call from my solicitor this morning saying the solicitor of the seller cannot locate the title deeds for the property.

The owner is unfortunately deceased and the family are selling the property. They are unsure if the title deeds are in a sole or joint name.

Our requested date of entry is 11th July which is when we have to be out of our property.

They said they may need to get some sort of confirmation from the sheriff court which could delay our entry date. How long would this take?

Starting to worry.

I'm in scotland.

Anyone been in this situation? Any words of advice would be great. Thanks!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback