Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Options

Comments

• Eliza_2
    Eliza_2 Posts: 1,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If that's the day cream I had the same problem but the night cream is fine. I seem to remember seeing reviews somewhere from others with the same thing. I used to love the cream in the tube, the blue and white one for me, similar to the pink and white one. Both have been discontinued I think. I wish we could know when they're likely to stop selling them so I could stock up. One week there's loads and the next none at all! V annoying.

I've nearly finished my final tube so not sure where to go next.
  • Shrimply
    Shrimply Posts: 869 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Back on topic. A significant difference between Aldi and Lidl. At Aldi I can only buy 1 pack of paracetamol and 1 pack of ibuprofen tablets in a single purchase.
    At Lidl I was able to buy 2 packs of both, which was much appreciated, I take 6 tablets of each daily in divided doses for my arthritis so go through packs of 16 tablets in a few days.

I suspect, if not still the case, that at some point Aldi's paracetamol/ibuprofen was a mixed case product. Therefore from the receipt it wasn't clear which was being purchased and hence the combination of two rule to avoid them getting into trouble.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just had the Boneless Beef Rib Burnt Ends from Aldi, got them last week, they're delicious ! None in this week :(

I'm also addicted to the Aldi Skyr Passionfuit yoghurts, half the price of the same thing elsewhere at 49p
  • PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I knew about the scanning target, in fact was reminded of it when I came across a particularly slow (new?) operative the other week. Most staff seem to like the challenge of scanning fast.

The reason its manageable is because staff hop on and off tills like nobodys business. Its not like Sainsbos, where they're chained to the till for the whole shift, whether they are busy or not. I don't see any comparison with the likes of Amazon etc.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I agree with you about the staff (mostly) liking the challenge of being fast. I commented on her speed to a very fast till operator a few years ago. I said that she had to be the fastest in the store, to which her response was "Second fastest - but I'm working on it.."

I wonder how much the ex-employee hoped to receive from The Sun for his non-story?
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    . Its not like Sainsbos, where they're chained to the till for the whole shift, whether they are busy or not. etc.

I have friends that work for them and that is not true! In an 8 hour shift - they put out delivery, get the cigarette order done for the kiosk, top the trolleys up in front of the store, dress the shelves as well go on the checkouts. One of my friends is on a 28 hour contract - 3x8 hours and a four hour shift. She is probably on a till or supervising the self-scans about 18 hours. Also they get told off by head office if they too many on tills without serving them as they can see the productivity records/
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Also what makes scanning quicker at Aldi is most of the barcodes are the same width as the product or at least three times as long as normal ones- look at cereals. I would dare anyone to put the products with the barcodes facing up on the conveyor belt. Not every item - a few!
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Aldi apple tart, continental, in freezer section. A lot of apple, thin pastry, well balanced sweetness. Much better than something similar I had from Waitrose a week earlier.
  • RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The Seasoned (Frozen) Vegetables "Italian Style" in Lidl are very definitely seasoned. I thought that they would just taste like vegetables with barely detectable flavour. Wrong. I left them cooking slowly in a frypan, and returned to a cloud of garlic fumes around the pan. They are very strongly flavoured - quite salty. I think they will be useful in cooking as they will add flavour to things. But, I could imagine someone who likes more subtle flavours to not like them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure