Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Comments

• It might be just me but everytime I purchase my weekly Red Leicester Cheese from Aldi it is almost like it has been frozen as when I try to grate it then it breaks up etc which makes it impossible to grate. I got some Red Leicester from co-op the other day (more expensive) and that was fine I never had it breaking up when I was grating etc.. so I'm gonna change Cheese supplier.

Has anyone else found Aldi Red Leicester to be not fit for purpose? :money:
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    There's been no EE grated cheese in my ALDI for weeks:( Mind you the Cathedral City copy is gorg :D
    Never had a problem with any fruit n veg from ALDI :D
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I wasn't complaining as I picked up the Christmas promotion with the voucher inside.
    I went into the larger Lidl in town earlier, and OMG it was an unholy mess, it was merchandising turned manic! I'd planned to do a big shop to cover the store cupboard items for the next 5 weeks but half the stuff was missing. And the satsumas on offer were on the turn. I would struggle to spend £40 in there today.

Popped into Aldi instead to pick up some goodies for a family celebration, which was so much nicer. I can recommend the almond butter.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • The frozen Argentinian prawns in Lidl were VERY disappointing. Don’t bother buying them.
  • Aldi do a new gingerbread cake as part of their Christmas range, it’s with the mince pies etc etc and it is absolutely delicious. I’ve had 3 of them already! I was disappointed with the £3.99 giant mince pie though. Thought it was expensive for what it was. I also have picked up my Christmas gift bags and boxes from Aldi this year too. A lifesaver for me as I can’t wrap fo save my life! I’m addicted to their stollen too! *loosens belt*
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 28 November 2018 at 11:37PM
    Based on the Christmas recommendations above, I've now tried both the large Lebkucken (6 for 69p) and the Lebkucken Hearts (bag for 99p) both from Aldi. Although quite different from each other, they are both delicious in their own way. The large rounds have a curious combination of soft sponge and slight crispiness, whilst the smaller hearts are soft and melty with an apricot filling.

Thanks for the recommendations - I will need to get some more now. :)
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,581 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I went into the larger Lidl in town earlier, and OMG it was an unholy mess, it was merchandising turned manic! I'd planned to do a big shop to cover the store cupboard items for the next 5 weeks but half the stuff was missing. And the satsumas on offer were on the turn. I would struggle to spend £40 in there today.

Popped into Aldi instead to pick up some goodies for a family celebration, which was so much nicer. I can recommend the almond butter.

My usual problem with Lidl is that there are always queues at the checkout. I only go there rarely to stock up on cornichons and DH's favourite muesli. I had 2x £5 vouchers recently and found it hard to find £60 of items better than Aldi. I ended up with a stock of washing and dishwasher stuff.

Shock horror when I went to Aldi last week and they had queues at the checkout and several desks closed. :eek: That just never happens. I do hope it was a one off. :(
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    maman wrote: »
    My usual problem with Lidl is that there are always queues at the checkout. I only go there rarely to stock up on cornichons and DH's favourite muesli. I had 2x £5 vouchers recently and found it hard to find £60 of items better than Aldi. I ended up with a stock of washing and dishwasher stuff.

Shock horror when I went to Aldi last week and they had queues at the checkout and several desks closed. :eek: That just never happens. I do hope it was a one off. :(
    How did you get £5 off £30? The vouchers in-store were £5 off £40 and that is why I was struggling - especially as they had run out of cheese, which would have both filled my freezer and bumped the bill up nicely.

I made it to £40 by buying several boxes of the baclava (and a couple of bottles of booze for me!) instead, intended to gift to visitors over the Christmas season. Much better than boring boxes of sweets, and so much less expensive than DIY!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,581 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 November 2018 at 11:04PM
    :eek:
    How did you get £5 off £30? The vouchers in-store were £5 off £40 and that is why I was struggling - especially as they had run out of cheese, which would have both filled my freezer and bumped the bill up nicely.

I made it to £40 by buying several boxes of the baclava (and a couple of bottles of booze for me!) instead, intended to gift to visitors over the Christmas season. Much better than boring boxes of sweets, and so much less expensive than DIY!

In the Times and Sunday Times at the beginning of the month.

I like your idea of goodies better than my buys though!:D

ETA: Seems that my views on European foods weren't welcome.
  • PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    How things have changed money off vouchers for Lidl in The Times and Sunday Times.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure