Debit cards

Who am I banking with? High street bank or Visa? I have just learnt from my bank that they have to obey Visa rules. Visa have the power to give my debit card details to Amazon, ApplePay and possibly others without my permission. There does not appear to be a customer 'switch' for this. I only found out by chance. It may have been in the news; it may have been in existence for some time; either way I would like to be the one who controls where my details go.

Comments

• Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Who am I banking with? High street bank or Visa? I have just learnt from my bank that they have to obey Visa rules. Visa have the power to give my debit card details to Amazon, ApplePay and possibly others without my permission. There does not appear to be a customer 'switch' for this. I only found out by chance. It may have been in the news; it may have been in existence for some time; either way I would like to be the one who controls where my details go.

Few banks operate their own debit-card systems, it is far too expensive and inefficient. They usually outsource to one of the card processing companies - like VISA or MasterCard etc.

As such they'll have to abide by the contract terms to use the service - as we all have to with any service we use.

What do you mean by "give my debit card details to Amazon" ? VISA aren't going to just contact companies and send them the card details of random people.
  • Amazon and ApplePay are showing my replacement Debit card details before I have received them myself. Discussing this with my banks security unit yesterday, they read out the Visa terms which allows them to do this.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    IF you don't want a debit card then ask for an ATM card - but this will probably use either Plus/Visa or Cirrus/Mastercard for non-UK ATM network.
  • I don't mind debit cards; I just want to own full control of them.
  • My bank tell me they cannot operate an opt out scenario. They have to comply with Visa rules
  • Just followed those links thank you Ergates and clearly what goes around comes around. It is quite old news in fact although it completely passed me by until this year.

I think what I really need is for Visa/my bank to send me a list of all accounts they automatically update. This would help with memory problems if I forget where the details have been used and/or for an executor to use in the case of serious illness etc.
  • Ergates
    Forumite
    My bank tell me they cannot operate an opt out scenario. They have to comply with Visa rules

From reading around it though- the VISA rules *do* allow opt-out. Sounds like it's just your bank being lazy.
  • Just followed those links thank you Ergates and clearly what goes around comes around. It is quite old news in fact although it completely passed me by until this year.

I think what I really need is for Visa/my bank to send me a list of all accounts they automatically update. This would help with memory problems if I forget where the details have been used and/or for an executor to use in the case of serious illness etc.

Your bank won't know who you have set up a continuous payment authority with - only you know (or forget).
    If you don't want your bank to update your details it is simple - cancel all of them - then they can't touch your money.
  • Ergates
    Forumite
    Your bank won't know who you have set up a continuous payment authority with - only you know (or forget).
    If you don't want your bank to update your details it is simple - cancel all of them - then they can't touch your money.

The bank aren't updating any details - it's a service offered by VISA to retailers. The only part the bank have to play in this is that it should be possible to opt out of the scheme - which is done via the bank.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure