Bailiff throwing weight around

Options
JohnLock
JohnLock Posts: 74 Forumite
edited 1 November 2018 at 1:05AM in Bankruptcy & living with it
Hi,
Today I got a visit from a bailiff claiming to be from a local collection agency.
He drove a plain weight van, no logo of anything...
He came throwing his weight around on my doorstep, demanding I pay £150 for an overdue bill for something I hadn’t ordered online from Amazon.
I do order from Amazon but not that often,
I asked him what the item was and he said he didn’t have that information, just that he was ordered to collect the outstanding debt from a high power.
Alarm bells went off and I’m sure this is a scam, but then again, it could be legitimate
I didn’t pay and he drove off, not even telling me what he would do now?
What should I do now?

Comments

• bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Watch "Can't pay, we'll take it away".
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    What should I do now?

Check your amazon account. If the password has been changed without your knowledge that should ring alarm bells. Otherwise just search for a transaction that is flagged.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Craig1981
    Craig1981 Posts: 769 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    seems like could be a scam...

did he have any id?
    seems like a one off payment for £150 is not quite right, as when referred to bailiffs for anything, charges are usually £75 for compliance fees (writing to you to tell you about the debt). enforcement action is then charged at £235 for a "home visit" by the bailiff if compliance has not been responded to. so total debt excluding original debt would be a minimum of £310 (if these are not high court bailiffs - much higher if they are)

if they return, ask for id, who they work for, contact that company via a number from the internet, and verify the agent
  • Whatisinaname
    Options
    Guys look at his previous posts before you waste your time. A Walter mitty character.
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Watch "Can't pay, we'll take it away".

That wont help if he is a scam!
  • Edi81
    Edi81 Posts: 1,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Troll alert! Some of the previous posts are strange!
  • ToxtethO'Grady
    Options
    Send me your Amazon login and the long number on the front of your card, maybe that little 3 digit number on the strip on the back, and I'll try and sort it out for you
  • bertiewhite
    First Post
    Options
    scd3scd4 wrote: »
    That wont help if he is a scam!

It'd help realise that bailiffs don't just drive off when you say you can't pay.
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It'd help realise that bailiffs don't just drive off when you say you can't pay.

Really, I see plenty getting told to get lost and people not opening doors or saying the car is on finance take what you want. On that very program.

Just saying you are a bailiff with a debt means nothing, that was the point.
  • bertiewhite
    First Post
    Options
    scd3scd4 wrote: »
    Really, I see plenty getting told to get lost and people not opening doors or saying the car is on finance take what you want.

I don't!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport