PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Multi Cooker/ Instant Pot

Hello,

I've been wanting to replace my broken rice cooker, and was fortunate enough to be given a £50 Amazon voucher for Christmas. When I've searched for rice cookers, quite a lot of these multi cookers have come up and I wonder what your opinion is? Certainly it would be nice to create space by getting rid of rice cooker and rather cumbersome slow cooker, both which get regular use. But I also don't want something that is a jack of all trades but master of none.

Most of the ones in my price range are brands other than the famous 'instant pot', but if you felt the Instant Pot was the one that does all the functions 'properly' then I would probably hold out for it!

Many thanks!

Comments

• I have an Instant Pot and love it. Don’t use all the time but great when I do! For example, if you want a stew, instead of doing it in slow cooker, which I used to do, you can do it in approximately 30 minutes. Use for soup, quicker than pan on hob and better than soup maker. Haven’t done rice but have made rice pudding. For more information I would join the FB page Instant Pot UK community. I haven’t looked at any of the other brands so cannot compare!
    Helena
  • Helebore wrote: »
    I have an Instant Pot and love it. Don’t use all the time but great when I do! For example, if you want a stew, instead of doing it in slow cooker, which I used to do, you can do it in approximately 30 minutes. Use for soup, quicker than pan on hob and better than soup maker. Haven’t done rice but have made rice pudding. For more information I would join the FB page Instant Pot UK community. I haven’t looked at any of the other brands so cannot compare!
    Helena

I have been looking at the instant pot too. Where did you get it from?
  • Helebore
    Helebore Posts: 181 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 December 2017 at 11:47AM
    I bought mine from Amazon but I think they are out of stock for the forseeable. If you join above group someone on there will be able to say! Or, there’s also the official Instant Pot site, although they are both connected to one another. I bought mine when I lived recently in a flat where space so limited that I couldn’t use the hob, or I could but no space to put things down to let hob cool down as well. Dreadful. But my IP helped sooo much. Now I have moved but decided against a cooker, have my IP although have bought a 2 ring hotplate which I haven’t yet used or opened even! Am using a combi microwave as well, am just getting to grips with that! Have just looked, it looks like more will be available sometime in February!
    Helena
  • vatic
    vatic Posts: 183 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm in the market for one too because we got Amazon vouchers for Christmas. Have considered both the IP but will happily get one of the others if people say it's any good!
    March win: Fair Squared organic spa skincare set
    It isn't where you came from; it's where you're going that counts -- Ella Fitzgerald

• I think there is another thread somewhere on the old style board about instant pot
  • SIRENS
    SIRENS Posts: 1,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    I have an instant pot too and I love it, I bought in on Amazon but have had it about 2 years now, I just cooked a small ham in it today, took 40 min, then popped in oven to glaze, was lovely and tender. I use my regularly for rice and soup. I have never tried any other all in one cookers so can't really compare it to anything else.
    'You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose' - Dr Suess

OS
  • Sally_A
    Sally_A Posts: 2,266 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    ClaireBeth - should you chose to get rid of your cumbersome slow cooker - if it is the ceramic pot and lid variety, please give me first shout - these cook so much better than the steel and glass lidded trendy upstarts.
  • Check out the official Instant Pot UK Facebook group. Lots of recipes, lots of helpful people. Make sure it is the UK one as for some reason, a lot of the photos of meals produced on the US group look rather unappetising.
    I wanted one for Christmas but they went out of stock, apparently will be back in stock with the latest model in Feb.
    I'm holding out for that particular brand as it has a stainless steel inner pot whereas most alternative models have non stick coated aluminium ones.
    If you are not in a rush to get one, I recommend you do some research online to help you decide if it's for you.
    Don't be tempted to buy one from eBay or any other third-party seller as Amazon are the only official sellers apart from through the instant pot site. They will not be guaranteed by the manufacturer. They were appearing for sale at ridiculously inflated prices in the run-up to Christmas after they had been officially sold out.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I bought a Pressure King Pro just before Christmas, it's by far the best piece of kit I've ever bought. It does pressure/slow/rice/saute/soup/dough proving.

I was so fed up with my slow cooker making everything taste the same and coming out watery but this cooker is amazing.

So far I've made:
    Beef short ribs
    Gammon joint
    Beef cheeks
    Dauphinoise potoatoes
    Jacket potatoes
    Spag bol

Everything has come out perfect and so full of flavour and it's so quick.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Thanks all! I think I will hold out for the instant pot to come back in stock then! Does anyone know what the usual price is? I can't seem to find out?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure