ESA and Carers Allowance

Comments

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Let's do this step by step.

First of all do you claim contribution based ESA (ie. you were working for at least two years before your ESA claim and paying NI contributions) or income based ESA or contribution based ESA with an income based 'top up'.

Look at your award letter and tell us how they have worked out your ESA (exact wording please)

You cannot claim contribution based ESA and Carer's Allowance. They are overlapping benefits. You would make a claim for CA and they would write and say you are not entitled to it. BUT this would give you an underlying entitlement to CA and they would add a Carer's Premium to your ESA. (This sounds as if this would not help you)

You can claim income based ESA and CA. The CA amount is deducted from your ESA but a Carer's Premium is added. You would still get your CA separately.

The earnings limit for CA is to do with earnings. Being on ESA (any amount) still may mean you are entitled to CA.

Please answer the questions about the type of ESA you are on and we can explain what your next steps could be.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    (1) Claiming ESA in the WRAG group if possible

Has there been an improvement in your condition?

Are you fit to provide 35 hours of care?
  • D.va
    D.va Posts: 12 Forumite
    pmlindyloo wrote: »
    Let's do this step by step.

First of all do you claim contribution based ESA (ie. you were working for at least two years before your ESA claim and paying NI contributions) or income based ESA or contribution based ESA with an income based 'top up'.

Look at your award letter and tell us how they have worked out your ESA (exact wording please)

You cannot claim contribution based ESA and Carer's Allowance. They are overlapping benefits. You would make a claim for CA and they would write and say you are not entitled to it. BUT this would give you an underlying entitlement to CA and they would add a Carer's Premium to your ESA. (This sounds as if this would not help you)

You can claim income based ESA and CA. The CA amount is deducted from your ESA but a Carer's Premium is added. You would still get your CA separately.

The earnings limit for CA is to do with earnings. Being on ESA (any amount) still may mean you are entitled to CA.

Please answer the questions about the type of ESA you are on and we can explain what your next steps could be.

My ESA is income based. How they worked out the money according to the letter:

"Your living expenses... £73.10
    Extra money because of the Disability Income Guarantee... £15.75
    Extra money because you are in the support group... £36.20"
  • D.va
    IAmWales wrote: »
    Has there been an improvement in your condition?

Are you fit to provide 35 hours of care?

No, and yes. I'm not familiar with what the WRAG group entails, but I was thinking if it was viable to be claimed alongside CA, then it might be an option I could look into. Hence the 'if possible.'
  • pmlindyloo
    D.va wrote: »
    My ESA is income based. How they worked out the money according to the letter:

"Your living expenses... £73.10
    Extra money because of the Disability Income Guarantee... £15.75
    Extra money because you are in the support group... £36.20"

In that case as long as you meet the criteria for claiming CA then you can claim it with your income based ESA.

As I said they will count the CA as income for your ESA and deduct it but add on a Carer's Premium. You will get the CA as a separate payment.

You will be better off by about £30 a week all told.

The only extra thing I would say is to be sure that the reason you were put into the the support group of ESA doesn't contradict with your ability to care for someone.
  • pmlindyloo
    edited 12 October 2017 at 11:39AM
    Are you certain that receiving CA exempts you from the income threshold for bringing your husband to the UK?

Not my area of expertise but would this apply to your circumstances/

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/immigration/visas-family-and-friends/getting-a-visa-for-your-spouse-or-partner-to-live-in-the-uk/

Edit

So have checked with gov.uk and they do include Carer's Allowance!

https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/proof-income
  • D.va
    In that case as long as you meet the criteria for claiming CA then you can claim it with your income based ESA.

As I said they will count the CA as income for your ESA and deduct it but add on a Carer's Premium. You will get the CA as a separate payment.

You will be better off by about £30 a week all told.

The only extra thing I would say is to be sure that the reason you were put into the the support group of ESA doesn't contradict with your ability to care for someone.

By any chance, do you know how the CA will appear on my bank statement? If I get Carers Premium will it say "Carers Premium" somewhere? And if I got full CA, would it say Carers Allowance? That would be helpful if you happen to know, since I need to send off my statements as part of the visa application.

I don't think I meet the CA criteria right now, since I earn too much to be eligible. You can't earn more than £116 pw; I earn about £125 pw. Your last point shouldn't be a problem. My main disabilities involve leaving the house. I live with my mom so I don't have to go out to care for her.
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,948 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    you don't 'earn' anything.
    you receive income related benefits.
    it isn't earnings unles it is paid income through work
  • pmlindyloo
    Please apply for Carer's Allowance.

Based on what you have said you qualify.

The Carer's Premium is paid as part of your ESA so it will not appear on your bank statement as something separate.

Carer's Allowance will be shown on your bank statement - not sure how it is worded (someone?)

In any case you will receive a letter about your CA which will be your evidence that you are receiving it.
  • D.va
    Please apply for Carer's Allowance.

Based on what you have said you qualify.

The Carer's Premium is paid as part of your ESA so it will not appear on your bank statement as something separate.

Carer's Allowance will be shown on your bank statement - not sure how it is worded (someone?)

In any case you will receive a letter about your CA which will be your evidence that you are receiving it.

That is great news! I think I could do the visa application with that no problem. I had no idea that both the CA and the Premium could/would be paid. I thought it was either one or the other. I must have misunderstood earnings limits and the CP itself. Thank you, you've been so helpful. I will definitely apply. Also big thanks to everyone else who took the time to advise!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure