The Debt Free Roll Of Honour

Comments

• sth.coast
    sth.coast Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    As of 1st June 2018 I am now debt free. I had £100k debt and contacting CCCS/stepchange was the best thing I ever did. Sure it’s been tough for the past 7years but StepChange helped me enormously, so much so I never got any hassle from creditors.

Reading this forum has been so helpful as well and really kept me going. Thank you to everyone on here!

I certainly won’t be getting into debt again and I’ve learned my lesson. I can look forward to saving now and enjoying life more.

For anyone who is unsure of their first step, give a debt charity a call and see if a debt management plan is for you. You have to make sacrifices but you stay in control.

a. The date of your lightbulb moment.
    May 2011 when I contacted CCCS who are now StepChange. I realised I couldn’t go on any longer.

b. Debts at their highest
    Just under £100k

c. Debt-Free Date
    1st June 2018

d. Your one perl of wisdom.
    Realising that cheaper supermarkets like Aldi are actually very good and cost much less than Sainsbury and Waitrose. Much savings were made there.
  • host-two
    host-two Posts: 6 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Lightbulb moment: January 2017

Debts at highest: around £15,000

Debt free date: June 2018

Old debt was older than 6 years therefore 90% of it was written off leaving me about £200 to pay on utility bills... these are now all clear!
    Removed by Forum Team
  • Yip Yip.. Debt free from here on!:T

a. The date of your lightbulb moment
    It was around June 2009, initially used CCCS (Step Change) until I discovered David & Goliath, they helped me to challenge the debt.

£23,000

c. Debt-Free Date
    20/06/2018:j:j:j

d. Your one pearl of wisdom.
    Keep track of everything, incomings/outgoings and be kind to yourself, we are only human and we make mistakes.. Just don't give up, keep plodding and eventually it will work out one way or another!

e. Links to the MSE guides that helped you
    Old style MoneySaving and enjoyed using/reading/ picking up tips from lots of areas, finding motivation from others.

f. Which forum threads helped you
    HEAPS, though my main "go to" threads were
    Grocery Challenge
    Garden fence
    Flylady
    Simpler life

g. And if you had a debt diary on the Debt-Free Wannabe board (DFW), a link to it
    No diary..

Ooh ooh.. Do I get a sticker now??:rotfl::j:rotfl:
    "There's a little witch in all of us"🥰
    DEBT FREE 06/2018
    MrsSD 2023 Decluttering Campaign:
    🏅⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Debt free at last :j

3rd November 2015

£17,420

c. Debt-Free Date
    21st June 2018

Track every single spend every single day, learn to say no.

Use all the tools on the site to challenge your spending and to get better deals for everything.

Debt-free Diaries, Debt-free Wannabe Challenges, Mortgage-free Wannabe

g. And if you had a debt diary on the Debt-Free Wannabe board (DFW), a link to it

[URL=" https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5353176"]My debt free diary[/URL]
    Aiming to early retire in April 2025 - DC pension currently £350k 
  • That is amazing glass half full!!! Well done
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 30 June 2018 at 10:51AM
    Yesterday I paid off the last bit of our debt - so we are now debt free - whoop! (all we owe now is the BTL mtge - which is reducing monthly and LTV <60%, so I don't include that) :j :j

Probably when I joined in with Pay off all your debt challenges just over 18 months ago - so let's say late 2016

Hmm - hard to say exactly, as I concentrated on some bits and ran up some 0% whilst getting higher ones down. Probably paid £30k off in that time, maybe £8k of which was 'new' debt in that time

c. Debt-Free Date
    29th June 2018

Face up to the scary amounts, come up with a plan and timescale of how to repay and read MSE DFW challenges for inspiration

N/A - I just used DFW challenges and experience of paying off our mortgage a few years before.

Debt-free Wannabe Challenges, Mortgage Free Wannabe Board

Nope - only ever posted in the 'Pay off all your debt by Xmas' challenges
    although I do have a MFW diary
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Congratulations greent, that is fantastic!!!

Well done.

What is BTL?
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Congratulations greent, that is fantastic!!!

Well done.

What is BTL?

Thank you :)

Buy to Let x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,186 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    greent wrote: »
    Yesterday I paid off the last bit of our debt - so we are now debt free - whoop! (all we owe now is the BTL mtge - which is reducing monthly and LTV <60%, so I don't include that) :j :j

Probably when I joined in with Pay off all your debt challenges just over 18 months ago - so let's say late 2016

Hmm - hard to say exactly, as I concentrated on some bits and ran up some 0% whilst getting higher ones down. Probably paid £30k off in that time, maybe £8k of which was 'new' debt in that time

c. Debt-Free Date
    29th June 2018

Face up to the scary amounts, come up with a plan and timescale of how to repay and read MSE DFW challenges for inspiration

N/A - I just used DFW challenges and experience of paying off our mortgage a few years before.

Debt-free Wannabe Challenges, Mortgage Free Wannabe Board

Nope - only ever posted in the 'Pay off all your debt by Xmas' challenges
    although I do have a MFW diary

WEll done :T:T:T
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Lee_Walker
    Lee_Walker Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    I have finally done it! 9 and a half years after starting my DMP at a whopping £30,000 debt, I AM FREE!!

Lightbulb moment - sitting in toilets at work feeling sick as I saw what was left after all debts had gone out didn't leave enough for rent or food for the month. I asked my mother for help for the 100th time and in tears she said she couldn't help me anymore, but recommended a company she had heard of and friends had used. That evening I contacted PayPlan and instantly a weight was lifte, no more dodging phonecalls!

Debts at highest were around £32,000

Debt free date = 18/07/2018

Advice = don't keep your head buried in the sand, it may be scary but ask for help, it is out there and you are NOT alone!

It feels so good to be able to start rebuilding my life and credit file!

Thank you to Payplan, my family and to MSE and their lovely forum posters!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback