Sky Q Wifi Issues?

We are considering upgrading to Sky Q but have heard horror stories of it interfering with internet speeds, dropping out etc.

Has anyone had any problems like this when they upgraded? We don't need it so would hate to go for it and have that kind of issue.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    We don't need it

I'd save yourself at least £12 a month in that case. Problem solved :)
  • WaywardDriver
    WaywardDriver Posts: 546
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    No problems ourselves but don't believe hype over Ultra-HD as no discernible improvement over normal HD. Multi-room is best feature.
  • I'd save yourself at least £12 a month in that case. Problem solved :)

We are being offered it for no extra cost, or so it seems, till I maybe read the small print!
    No problems ourselves but don't believe hype over Ultra-HD as no discernible improvement over normal HD. Multi-room is best feature.

Is that different to the multi-room we currently have with the older box?
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    We are being offered it for no extra cost, or so it seems, till I maybe read the small print!

I'd use an eye loop to make doubly sure, Sky don't seem to be giving anything away at the moment.
    Is that different to the multi-room we currently have with the older box?

The HD+ multi-room has the extra boxes plugged in to the dish, Sky Q uses WiFi to connect the boxes so there's just the one cable from the dish to the main box. When you record on a Q mini box it's actually recording to the main box as the mini ones don't have any hard drives in them. So you do need a decent WiFi connection between them to use the mini boxes.

One thing to keep in mind is that all 3rd party paid for channels (Boxnation comes to mind) need a valid viewing card in the box you're watching on which has caught out a friend of mine. The only exception I'm aware of is BT who pay Sky extra for the privilege.
  • WaywardDriver
    WaywardDriver Posts: 546
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    So you do need a decent WiFi connection between them to use the mini boxes.
    The installers will fit Wi-Fi boosters if needed at no extra cost.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin

To a degree the difference between UHD and HD depends on the quality of your TV and the broadcast source. For example, there is a marked difference in quality when watching a live F1 race but the difference is marginal when watching one of Sky 1's drama programmes.

I would also suggest that the ability to record 6 channels whilst watching a 7th is an advantage over Sky HD.
  • kremmen
    kremmen Posts: 744
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I had months of problems with wifi dropping imtermittantly . It took from October to December to sort it out properly and the problems started again in April. To be fair the last time they were sorted within a few days.

Touch wood no problems sice April .

Paul
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hengus wrote: »
    I would also suggest that the ability to record 6 channels whilst watching a 7th is an advantage over Sky HD.

But who would seriously need this "advantage" given the number of +1 channels, repeated multiple times through the week programmes and of course catchup?
  • kremmen wrote: »
    I had months of problems with wifi dropping imtermittantly . It took from October to December to sort it out properly and the problems started again in April. To be fair the last time they were sorted within a few days.

Touch wood no problems sice April .

Paul

Did you find out what was causing the problem?
  • kremmen
    kremmen Posts: 744
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Did you find out what was causing the problem?

No.

Sky did their thing and then called Open reach . Loads of things have been replaced including some of the wires on telegraph poles , the socket and router.

For full disclosure I am about half a mile form nearest box and the wires come through a load of trees . At the moment I am getting a steady 15MBS.

Sky originally had a dedicated department dealing with the problems and I believe that due to sorting it out they have shut it down now.

Paul
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport