Toto energy massive price increase

Comments

• I have read the MSE comments highlighted by jackywacky, they are incorrect. In order to clarify for others the following is what happened when I took out a contract with Toto.

1. I was not looking for a variable tariff and whist I no longer have proof I am certain that on the MSE site the Discount Variable Saver tariff was listed as "fixed". This may have been an error by Toto or MSE I know not which, though I have my views on this!

2. When I received documentation from Toto I noticed the word variable and was concerned about this and said so on Toto's facebook page. In response to my comments I received a personal face book message from someone called Jack, who I have seen on this site.

3. The following are his exact words in answer to my question, I still have the message on my facebook account -

"In regards to your tariff the direct debit is variable not the tariff rates. Your tariff will be fixed for the year but your direct debit will be reviewed every 3 months to se if you're in debit/credit with us.
    Hope this clears up the situation a little!

Jack@Toto Energy

4. Clearly then Toto are saying the Discount Variable Saver tariff is fixed not variable. It seems to me that the company have got themselves in a mess here and that is why nobody can get a definitive answer from them.

5. I have already e-mailed Toto to say I am leaving and have instigated the switch procedure to another provider so it matters not to me what the eventual outcome is, but I write this note by way of clarification for others. I believe given this statement by their employee that I would have had a case for insisting they honour the remaining six months of my contract. However I would prefer to move on from a company that is so very difficult to contact, and if you do get through to one of them they have no idea how to answer your query. After almost six months I have never had a statement of any kind from them so I have no idea if my account is in credit or debit. I am now worried that they will make a mess of my switch of course.

Jammeister, if you look on the main forum there is a contact area where you can send a message to the MSE people, this is how I contacted Laura. I was delighted to receive a reply within hours and my account was opened so that I could process a switch. Laura also said MSE would look into the lack of cashback received from Toto. Hope this helps.

I hope this explanation of my experience helps, I doubt there is little more I can add at this stage.

Dave
  • h1ubs
    h1ubs Posts: 20 Forumite
    edited 6 December 2017 at 9:50PM
    Spelling
    I have read the MSE comments highlighted by jackywacky, they are incorrect. In order to clarify for others the following is what happened when I took out a contract with Toto.

1. I was not looking for a variable tariff and whist I no longer have proof I am certain that on the MSE site the Discount Variable Saver tariff was listed as "fixed". This may have been an error by Toto or MSE I know not which, though I have my views on this!

Dave

Dave, I had exactly the same experience. I have always sought to switch to a fixed contract and can't understand why I have ended up on a so called 'variable' contract without being duped into believing the price was guaranteed for 12 months. I would therefore be minded to corroborate your assertion that the tariff was listed as fixed.
  • h1ubs
    This thread seems to be developing a possible mis-selling theme.

Let's investigate then.

Quick poll for people on the TOTO Discount Variable Saver tariff who now find themselves facing huge price increases.
    Please quote and answer question 1 just with a Yes or No.
    1. When you switched to TOTO via the MSE Cheap Energy Club, did you think the price quoted was guaranteed (i.e. fixed) for 12 months.
    2. Why did you think that ?
  • 1. Yes

2. That is what I applied for and Toto confirmed it was fixed.
  • Theta101
    Theta101 Posts: 140 Forumite
    I didn't realise how tiny a company Toto actually are.
    No wonder they've increased the charges and have such a poor customer service and website.
    Why so many name changes and dissolved companies?

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/09256482/filing-history
  • h1ubs
    1. Yes

2. I was under the clear impression that the unit prices quoted were guaranteed for 12 months. I was searching to fix my energy prices and would not be interested in any tariff likely to increase over that term.
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Former_MSE_Andrea Posts: 9,614 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've helped Parliament Rampant Recycler
    edited 7 December 2017 at 12:53PM
    Hi everyone

Thanks for your posts. We've written a news story on it:
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • I did a quick calculation of what these price increases mean - 23.85% increase in Electric and 50.65% in Gas. When i initially researched my switch through Money Saving Expert it was called a fixed tariff - and still is when i go to my profile. That is not mentioned in any subsequent Toto communications. If there is indeed no price fix in this i feel that MSE have mis-represented the deal available.
  • Dave, that is also my experience, i think that MSE have potentially mis represented the deal available from TOTO
  • h1ubs wrote: »
    This thread seems to be developing a possible mis-selling theme.

Let's investigate then.

Quick poll for people on the TOTO Discount Variable Saver tariff who now find themselves facing huge price increases.
    Please quote and answer question 1 just with a Yes or No.
    1. When you switched to TOTO via the MSE Cheap Energy Club, did you think the price quoted was guaranteed (i.e. fixed) for 12 months.
    2. Why did you think that ?

1 Yes
    2 Said so in Welcome Pack
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills