MBNA Money Transfer Offer

14567810»

Comments

• TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,778 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    My post from 8th Sept:
    TheShape wrote: »
    Applied for a MBNA 0% purchases card. Declined. Reason given - MBNA believed my current Credit Limit £5200 was sufficient based on my income £30100 (wage + investment income).

Email today stating that MBNA are planning to increase my credit limit from £5200 to £8700 on 20th December. Unsure whether to accept or decline.

Would take my limits to:

MBNA £8700
    Halifax £8000
    Lloyds £6750
    Tesco £6800
    Tesco £4400
    Nationwide £5300
    Virgin £3300
    Sainsburys £1500

That's a total of £44750 or around 150% of my income.
  • Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,243 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 14 November 2017 at 1:19AM
    I did a money transfer from MBNA to current account, followed by a BT to clear the MBNA balance to a 0% card. Unfortunately MBNA produced a statement between these two transactions.

The statement says they will collect the minimum payment of £x by DD on a date in December. The T&Cs say they will collect the DD regardless of any interim payment. Will they really collect that DD when my account balance is zero, and thus put me into a positive balance?

Any stoozers had a similar experience?
  • TheShape
    Vortigern wrote: »
    I did a money transfer from MBNA to current account, followed by a BT to clear the MBNA balance to a 0% card. Unfortunately MBNA produced a statement between these two transactions.

The statement says they will collect the minimum payment of £x by DD on a date in December. The T&Cs say they will collect the DD regardless of any interim payment. Will they really collect that DD when my account balance is zero, and thus put me into a positive balance?

Any stoozer's had a similar experience?

Happened to me when I took advantage of the MT offer that prompted this thread. My MBNA account was set to take full statement balance which was around £2500.

I called them but was close enough to payment date that DD couldn't be stopped. CSA set a task for a couple of days after the payment debited to refund to my current account minus the small amount of interest that I'd incurred between the Money Transfers and Balance transferring away. He did say when I called that if I'd called earlier he could have sorted something out, presumably stopping the DD.
  • Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,243 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    My MBNA account was set to take full statement balance which was around £2500.

As soon as I requested the MT MBNA warned me that my DD was set to full payment. I was able to change that before the statement date.
    He did say when I called that if I'd called earlier he could have sorted something out, presumably stopping the DD.
    That's good to know, but as mine is just a minimum payment I'll let the DD collect and spend the balance next month.
  • Mogley
    Mogley Posts: 250 Forumite
    Email today stating that MBNA are planning to increase my credit limit from £5200 to £8700 on 20th December. Unsure whether to accept or decline.
    I don't see any significant benefit from an increased credit limit if you are using the card for multiple MTs covered by BTs from other cards. A minor benefit would be less transactions required.
    You should pay attention to the needs of the moment - otherwise there is no future. But to ignore the future is foolish - living solely for the moment leaves nothing for when the next moment arrives.
  • TheShape
    What I'd have much rather had is the £3500 credit limit on a new 0% purchases card. Fewer transactions to complete the MT/BT combos would be a minor benefit.

I think it's a case of finding a balance between available credit and how that will impact future applications.
  • ricky_v
    ricky_v Posts: 330 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Incase anyone is interested Lloyds Bank has also started to offer fee free MT at 4.9% for existing credit card holders.

Could only muster £3k BT from Tesco. Virgin Money and Sainsburys seem to hate me and I have cards from all the other fee free BT providers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure