PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The NEW waiting to exchange thread...

Comments

• Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    toc25 wrote: »
    Snake??????? :eek:
    I must have missed that one

We got a phone call saying we had completed and by the way there's a grass snake in the compost bin, don't worry they're harmless.

Fortunately it had disappeared by the time we picked the keys up 3 days later.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Jaglad111 wrote: »
    Hi Purpleparrot, I was only asked for proof I had a deposit, not how quickly I could release it. I had 9.5k in a htb s&s lisa. It takes around a week to close, unlike the isa. I wasn't aware of that until I closed it. Thankfully I released it early in the process, maybe your buyers are waiting on that. Others may run their isa's right to the wire as any delay in exchange is lost bonus. Frustrating for you I know but hopefully nothing to worry about.

Thanks for the reply. Would be nice if they said that’s what the delay is though, to stop me panicking.
  • Natbag
    Natbag Posts: 1,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Cinders: I'm the same, we have just got this house the way we like and we have a blank canvas to start again with at the new house. Plus I'll lose my lovely new bathroom, sob. I'm sure it will be ok once we have put our own stamp on it.
    Fiesto88 - it's awful isn't it when it's so important but out of your control. Same with us, our buyers getting their mortgage stamped is a pretty big deal, and a deal breaker if it goes wrong. We are already on our second lot of buyers, and I just don't think we could/would go round a third time.
    Purpleparrot, with regards to your insurance, just contact them on the day of exchange and they should be able to add in temporary cover on both properties until you complete. Having home insurance is normally a requirement, but I don't think proof is required usually.
    Pumpkin, sorry you had no progress joy today either. Let's hope tomorrow is better!
    Property buying/selling timeline - currently into week 21
    04/12/20: Both properties listed for sale
    11/01/21: Offers accepted on both sales & on our joint purchase
    25/01/21: Identity checks completed, solicitors instructed
    27/01/21: Purchase survey & valuation complete, mortgage offer received 
    05/02/21: Reduction agreed on partner's sale (under-valuation) & on purchase. Mortgage offer amended
    08/02/21: Buyers pack returned to solicitor - sellers packs already returned
    26/02/21: Partner's sale contract signed
    10/03/21: Purchase searches all back
    16/03/21: My sale contract signed
    28/03/21: Purchase enquiries satisfied, Title Report & contracts issued, contracts signed & returned
    11/05/21: Still waiting on final enquiry in the adjoining chain to be resolved. Consent to break the chain granted, instruction to move to exchange given.
    17/05/21: All parties agreed to June 3rd for completion
    27/05/21: Exchanged on my sale only
    28/05/21: ALL EXCHANGED!
    03/06/21: Completion
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Scotbot wrote: »
    Are they FTB who don't know the ropes? I had a survey snd electrical check done, paid for both but the priced reduction I negotiated as a result more than covered the cost.

Nope - 2nd time buyers. Coming from a flat. My solicitor sided with me and said no, they'll be looking for a reduction, they can pay for it if they want it.
    Natbag wrote: »
    My buyers had the home buyers report survey, plus an electrical survey - they paid for it, but it was a pain as the electrician spent 3 hours examining every plug, socket and behind every fixed appliance, having switched off the supply to the house. Then he decided we needed a new fuse box and smoke alarms, although the buyers have agreed to do the work themselves after completion. They would have had a gas engineer report too but I was able to submit paperwork to prove the service was up-to-date so they didn't bother.
    Hope you can negotiate - do you have any paperwork you can submit that may alleviate their concerns? I know it's not typical to have a service on the electrical side of things like you would with a boiler.

Exactly - their responsibility to instruct and pay. Damned if I'm going to pay for their report so they can knock the price down! Just had to pay nearly £500 for the bloody dishwasher to be looked at (twice) and replaced. The £120 I offered to leave was more than fair - but apparently not to them. Grrrr.

We have a new boiler thankfully - well, a year old nearly now. The electrics thing is because I didn't get the electrical certificate after the kitchen was installed. I'm already paying for an indemnity policy for it. They can have that OR an electrician's report on the kitchen only. Anything else is down to them. I don't have any other paperwork.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • goodwithsaving
    goodwithsaving Posts: 1,311 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 October 2017 at 8:42AM
    16 weeks in and having to exchange on sale. Will lose a substantial sum due to redemption penalties. I'm done with the whole thing. Prices are falling anyway.
    I hate the system.
  • Natbag
    Natbag Posts: 1,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    goodwithsavings - it is a poor system. Are you experiencing a hold up with your purchase then?

Update from me, our buyers had their mortgage appointment on Saturday but forgot to take the references that the lender was waiting for. They are being emailed today, so hopefully the formal offer will be received by the end of the week. Still no idea why this is still outstanding after 5 weeks. I think we are also still waiting from the replies to our enquiries from our vendor, which I'd forgotten about. So I'm guessing that we won't be exchanging this week now, and likely not completing next week either. Sigh.
    Property buying/selling timeline - currently into week 21
    04/12/20: Both properties listed for sale
    11/01/21: Offers accepted on both sales & on our joint purchase
    25/01/21: Identity checks completed, solicitors instructed
    27/01/21: Purchase survey & valuation complete, mortgage offer received 
    05/02/21: Reduction agreed on partner's sale (under-valuation) & on purchase. Mortgage offer amended
    08/02/21: Buyers pack returned to solicitor - sellers packs already returned
    26/02/21: Partner's sale contract signed
    10/03/21: Purchase searches all back
    16/03/21: My sale contract signed
    28/03/21: Purchase enquiries satisfied, Title Report & contracts issued, contracts signed & returned
    11/05/21: Still waiting on final enquiry in the adjoining chain to be resolved. Consent to break the chain granted, instruction to move to exchange given.
    17/05/21: All parties agreed to June 3rd for completion
    27/05/21: Exchanged on my sale only
    28/05/21: ALL EXCHANGED!
    03/06/21: Completion
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    My buyers have decided they now want a 'private survey' 9 weeks in. ARGHHHHHHH. I have been calm and now I am extremely stressed. If they try and knock me down I shall be telling them where to stick it. Not happy.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Don't know about anyone else but I don't think I've ever been so attached to my mobile before!

Waiting for our vendor to sign, we're now expecting to exchange this week, still on track for completion Wed 25 Oct!
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • No updates from me - still waiting to hear that searches have come back. They should be completed any day now.

Hazyjo - that's so bad that they're messing you around like that. You would think they could have arranged a survey quite some time ago!

Natbag - glad things are slowly moving forward, very annoying they forgot the references!

Cinders - hope you manage to exchange today as planned, or very soon.
    Thank you to everyone who posts on here :)
  • MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    Don't know about anyone else but I don't think I've ever been so attached to my mobile before!

Waiting for our vendor to sign, we're now expecting to exchange this week, still on track for completion Wed 25 Oct!

As every single email our solicitor sends goes straight to my junk mail for some unknown reason, I've never refreshed my junk folder so often :rotfl:

Great news! Hope it goes to plan!
    Thank you to everyone who posts on here :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback