Party wall agreement for extension

Hiya, just after some quick advice on if a PWA is needed when neighbour next door is planning a ground floor rear extension?

We are attached by a party wall on that side, and even though they are technically building outwards, no doubt they will have to demolish the rear corner on our side etc.

Seeing as they are also doing renovation works to the entire ground floor would you suggest they provide a PWA just to be on the safe side? TIA

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,803 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    There's no such thing as 'on the safe side'. It either falls under the Act or it doesn't.

I don't know what you mean by demolishing a rear corner. That sounds unusual - corners are important!

Is the extension on the boundary or not? Do you have an extension yourselves?

Internal renovations don't usually fall under the Act. You meed to know exactly what they're doing. We don't.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • If they are laying foundations close to your house then there’s a high probability it’s covered by the PWA.
  • tizzle6560
    tizzle6560 Posts: 354 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Doozergirl wrote: »

I don't know what you mean by demolishing a rear corner. That sounds unusual - corners are important!

Is the extension on the boundary or not? Do you have an extension yourselves?

Internal renovations don't usually fall under the Act. You meed to know exactly what they're doing. We don't.

Sorry let me explain a little better -

They wont be demolishing the rear corner so to speak, simply taking down the rear wall right across the full width of the property and extending outwards.

It is on the boundary wall yes although we have not extended, so it will just be up against the fence that divides the gardens.

I am going to assume that a DPA probably isn't needed therefore, I was just thinking more along the lines of if they are doing a lot of construction and renovation work, then it might be good to cover ourselves just in case..
  • tizzle6560
    tizzle6560 Posts: 354 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    If they are laying foundations close to your house then there’s a high probability it’s covered by the PWA.

Just to clarify - there is no PWA in place currently.

All I can tell is that they've dug a lot of the ground up where the extension is going to be, and looks to be even lower than than the bottom of the property. Would that indicate foundations will be put down?
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,803 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    The Party Wall Act only applies to the extension if they are building onto your side in anyway, or if the foundations for the extension are deeper than your existing foundations. Do you know how deep your foundations are? How old is the house?

That said, the PWA cannot cover something that has already taken place, so if they are presently digging the footings and about to fill them in then they will be finished anything that falls under the act before you even have the chance to make a start on administration. Also, anything that affects the back wall of your house will affect theirs even more, so it's in their own interests to engineer their foundations appropriately.

They will not be removing the back wall. That does not fall under the PWA as their corner of the house is still essential to the integrity of the property and so a pier will be left in place, creating am opening, rather than a removal. No protrusion will be removed from the party wall; they rarely are during renovations unless you're in London and people can afford to spend silly money on engineering the potential problems of trying to achieve a totally flush wall.

Their obligations to you are exactly the same, regardless of whether a Party Wall Agreement is in place. Take yourself a lot of pictures of the current condition of your walls.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure