PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Upsizing

Comments

• AdrianC wrote: »
    BTW - if you earn £57k, how come you only have £5k in savings? You will have roughly £3,400 per month after tax. Your current mortgage is going to be costing you a tiny fraction of that. What are you doing with the rest?

There is a very MSE thought process that dictates that people on higher incomes will also have lots of savings. Many people also spend lots of money on other stuff like cars, holidays, doing their houses up, childcare costs.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    There is a very MSE thought process that dictates that people on higher incomes will also have lots of savings. Many people also spend lots of money on other stuff like cars, holidays, doing their houses up, childcare costs.
    ...and then they look surprised when a lack of savings comes back to bite them...

Nobody's saying that you can't spend a good chunk of your disposable income. But basic common sense says that you have enough put by to cover several months without income. If you're tied into substantial spending commitments, then that cushion needs to be similarly substantial.
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Mutton_Geoff Posts: 3,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 3 October 2017 at 5:18PM
    AHIM wrote: »
    That's my approximate equity in the current property. So I have about 70K left to pay

You are confusing your equity relative to your purchase price which is no longer relevant. Your equity is it's resale value after costs less your loan.

Say it did sell for £325,000, then your sale statement would look like this:

Sale £325,000
    less
    Agents Fees £3,900 (1% plus VAT)
    Legal Fees £1,000
    Moving Costs say £1,000
    Mortgage Redemption £68,000

Balance £251,100

You may be able to borrow up to 4.5x income especially as you have a decent income. You won't be able to not get a mortgage as you get older, it's just the term shortens as lenders want you paid up by retirement. Many lenders go to 70 now. I'm 59 and have just taken out a 10 year mortgage. You will be fine with 25 years or more.

You should be able to borrow £250k, especially since your loan to value (LTV) will be less than 60%. So your purchase budget would be something like this:

Proceeds from sale £251,100. Retention for "rainy day" £10,000, balance £241,100

Purchase Price £475,000
    Deposit £241,100
    Mortgage £250,000
    Stamp Duty £13,750
    Legals £1,000
    Sundries £1,350 (new bits furniture for upsize)

Total Purchase Costs £491,100 with mortgage of 53% LTV.

You're a bit short for a £550k purchase I'm afraid.
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • Ithaca
    Ithaca Posts: 269 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    We re-mortgaged on a 30+yr term at age 37 (which will put us well past 64 by the time it's paid off). No problem at all, and no apparent penalty in terms of available rates etc.

In terms of the mortgage lending the 4 x salary is a guideline but many lenders will now work on affordability (i.e. someone earning £3500/month with £2000 worth of monthly loan commitments may not be able to borrow as much as someone earning £3000/month with no loans or credit etc).
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    When a buyer has paid you is the time to figure out what you can or cannot afford IMO.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    When a buyer has paid you is the time to figure out what you can or cannot afford IMO.
    Not really, no. You'd be homeless. Sell and buy together, unless there's a reason why you can't.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Crashy_Time
    hazyjo wrote: »
    Not really, no. You'd be homeless. Sell and buy together, unless there's a reason why you can't.

What I meant was don`t just assume you will get a certain price. IMO many people would be better to stay put unless they really need to move now, because the stress of finding a buyer at a price they like just isn`t worth it.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    What I meant was don`t just assume you will get a certain price. IMO many people would be better to stay put unless they really need to move now, because the stress of finding a buyer at a price they like just isn`t worth it.
    Not getting into a price crash debate, but wanted to add it entirely depends on the area, demand, etc. Your statement will always apply to some areas, even in a booming property market!

If the market is falling in their area, it can be a good time to buy if they have enough equity and/or savings. Done it myself - always worked out to my benefit in the long run.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Crashy_Time
    hazyjo wrote: »
    Not getting into a price crash debate, but wanted to add it entirely depends on the area, demand, etc. Your statement will always apply to some areas, even in a booming property market!

If the market is falling in their area, it can be a good time to buy if they have enough equity and/or savings. Done it myself - always worked out to my benefit in the long run.

No, I don`t agree, in the heyday of the boom (bubble) most people could assume they would get offers over their daft asking price, or at least get their asking price IME. That is what bubbles (Ponzi schemes) do, they distort people`s idea of value.
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Mutton_Geoff Posts: 3,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    That is what bubbles (Ponzi schemes) do, they distort people`s idea of value.

An economic bubble is nothing like a Ponzi scheme.

I read your posts with interest but I wonder whether you've actually owned any property or seen real losses and gains in the property market?
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport