Speed rating of tyres

How important is speed rating on tyres?

I can see £5 difference in price between the same model of tyre (speed difference being H & V). The speeds are 130mph & 149mph respectively.

I dont do anything more than 80mph. Ususally stick to the speed limit. Would choosing either H or V tyre affect me?

Comments

• Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You would be fine.

However should you get in an accident and have not declared you modification to your insurers (for an increased fee no doubt) your insurance would be invalid.
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    You would be fine.

However should you get in an accident and have not declared you modification to your insurers (for an increased fee no doubt) your insurance would be invalid.

Is this really true?
  • As per Carrot, I would be careful to ensure your tyres are to the same specification as the original tyres fitted by the manufacturer. The exception being if you fit winter tyres, which may be a lower speed rating. Some cars have a winter tyre speed warning you can set on the dash/instrument panel.

FWIW, my insurance company (LV) don't have an issue with using winter tyres in winter, but some may consider it a modification.
  • force_ten
    force_ten Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    fitting a higher speed rated tyre is ok but it not advisable to fit a lower speed rated tyre than was originally fitted to the car from new

if the car was fitted with a tryre that was rated V/149 miles per hour and you replace it with a tyre rated H/130 miles per hour then it could potentially void your insurance in the event of a claim

the fact that you never drive at speeds higher than the national speed limit means nothing and the tyre should still be the correct speed rating for the car, original tyre ratings will be on the label on the drivers door pillar
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    force_ten wrote: »

the fact that you never drive at speeds higher than the national speed limit means nothing and the tyre should still be the correct speed rating for the car, original tyre ratings will be on the label on the drivers door pillar

This, basically. Yes, I have to agree with you - it seems daft to have a tyre capable of 149mph ( or even 130mph ) when any sensible driver would never get anywhere near that speed ( indeed, my own car would not even be able to go that fast even if I wanted to ! ). But - that's what the manufacturer specifies, so that's what you have to have, from the insurer's point of view. As per the above, you can fit a higher rated tyre if you want, but not lower.
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    force_ten wrote: »
    fitting a higher speed rated tyre is ok but it not advisable to fit a lower speed rated tyre than was originally fitted to the car from new

if the car was fitted with a tryre that was rated V/149 miles per hour and you replace it with a tyre rated H/130 miles per hour then it could potentially void your insurance in the event of a claim

Fair enough.

Just checked both the door pillar and manual for mine and neither specify a speed rating. Simply gives a range of wheel sizes and then 160kph/100mph above the laden and unladen tyre pressures. Perhaps it’s a more recent thing than my car. Presumably not an isssue, though...current tyres are rated v front and w rear.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,686 Forumite
    The handbook should give a list of recommended tyre details, that should include the speed rating.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Your tyres need to conform to the manufacturer's specification - including to the minimum speed and load rating that they give.

If they give H rated as acceptable, buy the H.

What size and ratings are given?
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    This is one of those odd questions that everyone "knows the answer" but there appears to be absolutely no evidence to back it up except for (a) warnings from people selling tyres and (b) everyone knowing the answer.

As far as I can find there's no evidence that insurers care, or have ever refused / limited a claim, as long as the tyres are road legal - which a tyre with a lower speed rating is in this country.

No FOS rulings, no warnings from any insurance companies or insurance industry press, ad 9really unusually) not even any 2I know a bloke down the pub who...." anecdotes.

The only real answer would come from asking insurers, and the only definitive answer would come from a decision by the FOS. Neither of those seem to have happened, yet "everybody knows".
  • seatbeltnoob
    seatbeltnoob Posts: 1,311 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Has there been any recorded cases of an insurance company voiding insurance for this. Seems extremely asinine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure