PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Weekly Flylady Thread 2nd October 2017

Options
Valli
Valli Posts: 24,777 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
edited 5 October 2017 at 10:49PM in Old style MoneySaving

What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Right now the thread is looking very quiet...but please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

[/B] Thank you Natty for last week's thread.

Please follow the forum rules on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don’t stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
WM ~ Washing machine
TD ~ Tumble dryer
SC ~ Slowcooker
BM ~ Breadmaker
DW ~ Dishwasher
SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
NN ~ nice neighbour
Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
ETA ~ Edited to add
Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!
MAD half hour
- Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

ok Here goes this Week...

Kitchen & Dining Room

Level 1
Clear drainer and sink
Open window
clear floor
empty bins
Clear sides and wipe, inc. small appliances and put back only what lives there

Level 2
Wipe cupboard doors, drawer fronts and handles
Clean and wipe/polish table
Wipe/polish chairs - don't forget underneath seats where sticky fingers linger
Wipe mats or wash and replace cloth
Wipe sockets and switches

Level 3
Clean sills
Wipe windows
Dust dressers or other furniture
sweep/mop floors

Extras
Check fridge for use-up stuff
Do a freezer inventory - start using up/creating space for Christmas
MAD half hour - plan to start nibbling away at a big job
New month - do you need any cards? Buy December's cards too - because they mysteriously start to disappear from the shops;)
Check smoke detectors and CO (carbon monoxide) detectors are fully-functional.
HHI - keep on top of it!

Trffic Tuesday - Lounge about

Level 1

Open the windows
Empty bins
Remove anything that doesn't live here
Dust coffee table and tidy
See to flowers

level 2

Dust everywhere
Plump cushions
Wipe sills
Clean windows

Level 3

Vacuum all soft furnishings, curtains
sweep/vacuum/mop floor
Dust skirtings

Extras
Vacuum/dust radiators
HHI
Half term this month...start making plans - do you need craft materials for Christmas card making with the littleys?
(laughs hysterically - I have to do it with 26 of them...)
Plan something nice for the weekend

Wonderful Wipey Wednesday - bathroom

simple list - but effective

remove all gibble
fling towels in wash
scrub bath, loo and sink. THOROUGHLY inc under rims and outside...

fling bleach down all holes...

dust everywhere

polish mirrors and any glass

sweep and mop floor

S&S kitchen
MAD half hour...

Thursday Thrills - bedroom

Before breakfast

Clear your floordrobe/chairdrobe
Open window
Strip bed
Eat breakfast

Now for the room...
vacuum/dust headboard/bedframe
remake bed with fresh linen

If you have time

clean windows
dust everywhere
reduce dressing table clutter to what NEEDS to be out
wipe switches/sockets/hairdryer
vacuum floor

Exreas
S&S kitchen
S&S bathroom
MAD half hour

Friday Fling and Fresn'h'up - alittle of what you fancy...

Arm yourself with a damp cloth and a bin bag. 10 minute alarm on your phone.

Walk into a room. Start countdown. Bin rubbish. Wipe anything grim. Staighten up, rehome any strays.
Leave IMMEDIATELY the alarm rings...

next room...

do as many rooms as you have time for.

HHI
S&S kitchen and bathrooms.

ENJOY THE WEEKEND WITH YOUR FAMILY X
Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
"I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
:heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear

Comments

• lynnejk
    lynnejk Posts: 5,732 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Evening all

Thanks Valli for the new thread and hope you've all had a reasonable couple of weeks. Haven't had time to read all the last two weeks - sorry !

We're back from our holibobs and raring to go - well kind of :rotfl:
    Had a great time, wall-to-wall sunshine and a few (or maybe more) bevvies.

I've unpacked and done most of the washing. Trouble is that, with the awful wind and rain, I'm out of indoor drying space atm. Will get caught up later though.

Been shopping, cooking and generally tidying around. I've managed to ignore the dust everywhere and will get onto it tomorrow.

Kitchen & Dining Room
    Clear drainer and sink
    Open window
    clear floor
    empty bins
    Clear sides and wipe, inc small appliances and put back only what lives there
    Clean sills
    Wipe windows
    sweep/mop floors
    Extras
    Check fridge for use-up stuff
    Do a freezer inventory - start using up/creating space for Christmas
    New month - do you need any cards? Buy December's cards too - because they mysteriously start to disappear from the shops;)
    HHI - keep on top of it!

Hugs, sticks and spoons if you're needing some
    Hope you all have a super Monday
    Lx
    £10day.2014=3213/2015=3421/2016=3238/2017=2702/2018=498..APR=12.03/300
    GrocC.2014=2162/2015=2083/2016=218/2017=1996/2018=450..APR=17.13/200
    Bulk buy.......APR=233.76
    GC.NSD..2015=216/2016=213/2017=229/2018=39..APR=03/15
    SPC130:staradminx61..2014=1178/2015=1287/2016=4616/2017=3843
    OS WL= -2/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £13,140
  • froddington
    froddington Posts: 6,697 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm here - thanks Valli :A

Thanks everyone for you kind comments and thoughts - I will just have to see how it goes and, if things get too awful, I'll have to be signed off. I'm not going to make myself ill again! Just under 12 weeks to go .................

Kitchen

Level 1

Clear drainer and sink
    Clear sides and wipe, inc. small appliances and put back only what lives there

Level 2

Level 3
    Clean sills
    Wipe windows
    sweep/mop floors

Extras
    "There's only one way of life and that's your own" - Levellers

"I'm feeling like a Monday but someday I'll be Saturday night" - Bon Jovi
  • Fayolle
    Fayolle Posts: 2,894 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thank you Natty for last week, and Valli for this week's listy. I'm in, please.

The kitchen could do with a good going through. I've just jammed some garlic bread in the freezer, and truly there is no space. Freezer living it is for the next couple of weeks. Whatever that may mean.

Cheers, ATB. Thank you for leaving the wine out. I helped myself...:D x
  • Mumto5
    Mumto5 Posts: 1,838 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry dismal fail last week. Will try harder this weeek.

I have 3 bags in the boot of my car to go to CS. (despite inactivity last week, decluttering has been successful).

I will triumph this week!
  • ionafan
    ionafan Posts: 4,426 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you Valli for the new list and Natty for last week's.
    Mumto5 wrote: »

I have 3 bags in the boot of my car to go to CS. (despite inactivity last week, decluttering has been successful).
    So why are you using the F word? I suspect that you managed to do more flying than I did!

First thing in the morning, I must do my college prep and make sure that I've got everything I need packed ready for Tuesday - last week I left half the papers I needed at home :o Then we are going to another Macmillan coffee morning. The fridge is almost empty again but I will be able to cope without refilling it until Tuesday, apart from buying milk on our way home. If I'd had some money with me when I took Rosie out for her walk this afternoon, I could have got it then - bad planning!

Hope everyone has a good week x
  • Valli
    Options
    Mumto5 wrote: »

I will triumph this week!

Erm - you have bags already in the car? So that's a dismal fail how? It's a house. It's work in progress. Always,. Because it will never, ever be COMPLETELY finished. 3 bags going out is excfelkent work!
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson

Thank you Honey Bear
  • Zoelikesjam
    Options
    I'm in this week :) not very well but determined to get some of this sh*t tip sorted. xxx
  • Valli
    Options
    Awake without the alarm. DW and WM on. So all good.

Back to ZZZzzzzzzzzz

Thank you Honey Bear
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    Options
    Morning everyone. Thanks for the list Valli.

I have a later start today so will do the ironing first.

Have a great day everyone.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • donnajt
    donnajt Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 October 2017 at 8:53PM
    Options
    Morning All, thank you for the list Valli

Although I didn't manage to get the days list completed daily, I did catch up over weekend, only for family to mess up again !!! grrr

Got up and did the ironing this morning, glad its kitchen as I didn't wash up after dinner last night - ate so late and then straight into kids school bedtime routine, mad dash for homework, reading etc

Kitchen & Dining Room

Level 1
    [STRIKE]Clear drainer and sink
    Open window
    clear floor
    empty bins
    Clear sides and wipe, inc. small appliances and put back only what lives there[/STRIKE]
    Level 2
    [STRIKE]Wipe cupboard doors, drawer fronts and handles
    Wipe sockets and switches[/STRIKE]
    Level 3
    [STRIKE]Clean sills
    Wipe windows
    sweep/mop floors[/STRIKE]
    Extras
    [STRIKE]Check fridge for use-up stuff[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]Do a freezer inventory[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]MAD half hour - plan to start nibbling away at a big job
    New month - do you need any cards? Buy December's cards too - because they mysteriously start to disappear from the shops
    HHI - keep on top of it![/STRIKE]

hooray all done and feeling great sense of achievement :T:T:T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family