Subway lunch deal no more?

Options
Just went into my local subway and they have stopped the £3/3.50 £5/5.50 lunch time deal.

So now my Sub & Drink has gone up by £0.80p. Is this a global thing? Or can franchises decide if they want to run this promotion or not?

Comments

• K80_Black
    K80_Black Posts: 466 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    My local still does the £3 lunches and is also doing sub of the day for £2.49. Must be up to the individual franchises?
  • NaughtiusMaximus
    Options
    K80_Black wrote: »
    My local still does the £3 lunches and is also doing sub of the day for £2.49. Must be up to the individual franchises?

So does mine, although annoyingly they seem to have stopped selling full sugar drinks.
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Some franchies have a better deal, no £3 lunches but any sub comes with dispensed drink for 50p more, useful if you want a premium sub as a "meal deal" add on is like £1.50-£2 more and only diffrence is it comes with cookie/crisps so works out cheaper and the cheaper subs may be 20 or 30p more but not bank breaking.

The drinks thing I was told was part due to the sugar tax and part due to some goverment guidelines on cutting down sugar drinks in fast food places.
  • NineDeuce
    NineDeuce Posts: 997 Forumite
    Options
    Subway is just becoming too expensive. 10 years ago it was ok and had a place in the market.

Now it is just an expensive fast food outlet.
  • dekaspace
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    NineDeuce wrote: »
    Subway is just becoming too expensive. 10 years ago it was ok and had a place in the market.

Now it is just an expensive fast food outlet.

I disagree, £3 for a sub, refillable drink and some do student/kids deals so you also get crisps/cookie I get chicken salad with drink and crisps for £3

Compared to McDonalds the cheapest of the other chains where its like £3.50 for a big mac meal and drink (if you have the £1.99 vouchers and drink is about £1.50 on top) cheapest thing on menu for a full meal.

Of course if you compare the most expensive thing on menu, and not on a deal its more expensive than McDonalds but then you have to factor in the dearer McDonalds options too.
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,813 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 April 2018 at 5:51PM
    Options
    dekaspace wrote: »
    I disagree, £3 for a sub, refillable drink and some do student/kids deals so you also get crisps/cookie I get chicken salad with drink and crisps for £3

Compared to McDonalds the cheapest of the other chains where its like £3.50 for a big mac meal and drink (if you have the £1.99 vouchers and drink is about £1.50 on top) cheapest thing on menu for a full meal.

Of course if you compare the most expensive thing on menu, and not on a deal its more expensive than McDonalds but then you have to factor in the dearer McDonalds options too.

You are not comparing like for like.

You can not compare MCDonald (£1.99 if you have voucher + £1.39 drink) = £3.39 with subway.

£3.40 meal deal with mcdonalds include Bic Mag, Medium French Fries (Chips), and Large Soft Drink (not Medium).

The portion of Big Mac menu is comparable to 1 foot sub, (not 6" sub) and Large soft drink.

For some adults (if not majority) 6" sub is simply not enough for lunch.

How much will you pay for 1 ft long Subway + Large Drink ?
  • dekaspace
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 18 April 2018 at 9:24PM
    Options
    adindas wrote: »
    You are not comparing like for like.

You can not compare MCDonald (£1.99 if you have voucher + £1.39 drink) = £3.39 with subway.

£3.40 meal deal with mcdonalds include Bic Mag, Medium French Fries (Chips), and Large Soft Drink (not Medium).

The portion of Big Mac menu is comparable to 1 foot sub, (not 6" sub) and Large soft drink.

For some adults (if not majority) 6" sub is simply not enough for lunch.

How much will you pay for 1 ft long Subway + Large Drink ?

You think that sloppy burger is comparable to a footlong rather than a 6 inch sub packed with salad?

And Subway is free refills.
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,813 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 April 2018 at 10:13PM
    Options
    dekaspace wrote: »
    You think that sloppy burger is comparable to a footlong rather than a 6 inch sub packed with salad?

And Subway is free refills.

Well, my point here is that

If you go to subway you often see grown up adults (Especially avarage size big/tall male adult) will choose to buy 1ft long Sub for lunch, because 6" is simply not enough.

If you go to Mac Donald you hardly ever see (if any) a grown up adult order 2 (two) Big Mac for lunch, because just one Big Mac + Medium Fries + Large Softdrink for lunch is more than enough.

Refill is quite irrelavant in this comparison because for many people if they already have a large softdrink, it is already more than enough. So they are not going to refill it anyway. Keep in mind you are going to takeaway for quick lunch not to sit in the pub / bar for chatting.
  • dekaspace
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options

If you go to subway you often see grown up adults (Especially avarage size big/tall male adult) will choose to buy 1ft long Sub for lunch, because 6" is simply not enough.

If you go to Mac Donald you hardly ever see (if any) a grown up adult order 2 (two) Big Mac for lunch, because just one Big Mac + Medium Fries + Large Softdrink for lunch is more than enough.

Refill is quite irrelavant in this comparison because for many people if they already have a large softdrink, it is already more than enough. So they are not going to refill it anyway. Keep in mind you are going to takeaway for quick lunch not to sit in the pub / bar for chatting.

You however had to bring up subway was a medium drink compared to a large, implying that meant it wasn't as good value.

But then you say drinks sizes are irrelvant.

I go to Subway daily actually, its rare to see anyone get a footlong and many of the times I do people often can't finish it, or I hear them joke about being greedy.

And from experience if you get a McDonalds drink without ice it takes away a sizable chunk of the cup size, if you filled that medium cup to the top it would be similar if not almost the same as that large McDonalds one without ice

Bearing in mind I as a obese guy only get the smaller sub, its what you get with it that matters the times I do see people get footlongs as well they often don't get salad with it that fills you up.

I buy chicken, with salad both enough to fill you up, if you ate ham and no salad it wont fill you up much.

In that case why not get the big beef melt? Its basically a burger in a sub with salad.
  • ffacoffipawb
    ffacoffipawb Posts: 3,593 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options

If 6" isn't enough for them, they must have been spoilt!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure