Delivery rights discussion

Comments

• Not quite sure if installation of a service equates to the same legal rights as to a delivery of an item, but I recently moved house and was horrified to discover that BT couldn't supply an engineer to install our new phone line for almost a month after we had moved in (order placed 3 weeks before the move). The original date was inconvenient so I changed it online to the day after. Got a rude call from the engineer on the original date saying he was outside the house and that he'd cancel the slot if I wasn't there in 15 minutes. That was not possible so I then spent close to two hours on the phone to their (non-UK based) customer services explaining how I wanted an engineer there the following day on the date I had arranged with them, but was initially told that I would have to wait another 3 weeks. I was promoised a call back from a floor manager - never happened. Expecting that they might well not be coming I called the helpdesk who to my delight informed me that someone was definitelycoming at the original time window. Double checked, confirmed, so I waited in. Hooray I thought. No-one showed, and I had a wasted day at home. Still had to wait 3 weeks for my installation. Anyway - by quoting bits from the guide I was able to secure close to £60 for my wasted day. Not a full remuneration of what a day of extra holiday would cost me, but much better than the £10 they had offered me before I went to this site!
  • £15.00 gift voucher from amazon in 30mins for late delivery. Job done.
  • Hi All

Ordered BT Line and Fibre broadband in early September, both sales assistant and online said it was available in the area- Given installation date on 11th October for both.

Day comes around (annual leave day of course) - broadband guy rings first " I’m on my way have you got an active phone line?"
    I tell him no, your company is installing that today too; surely they should send the phone line person first.
    He tells me ok well he might not be able to install the broadband then!!!
    He goes to the exchange and has a look and tells me that there is a problem and won't be able to install it anyway.
    I don't hear from anyone about the phone line within the appointment time.

I ring up after my appointment time and ask what is going on - I get a response that there is a problem with the exchange to my area and they will get it fixed as soon as possible to make a new appointment.
    So now I’m annoyed as I get no contact to say the phone guy isn't coming and the fact they've had a whole month to be ready from my order date.

I then get new dates - 01st Nov for phone and 14th Nov for broadband.

01st Nov - no show from the phone line engineer!
    02nd Nov - Asleep in bed, doorbell goes and he's there to install - I tell him he's 24 hours late and lucky I’m even in - he says it’s the date he has down for installation - he installs it.

Today 14th nov (another annual leave day) - Fibre guy turns up to install, goes off to box and comes back 1/2 hour later to say there is no Fibre broadband connections in the box, it can't be installed!!!

So I’ve waited 2 months and still not got the broadband - I have a phone line I don't really even want but have because of broadband (Virgin not available), wasted annual leave days and I’ve been paying extra money to my mobile provider so I can have extra internet usage because I keep hitting my limit while trying to use it as a Wi-Fi hotspot to try and use the computer at home when it should have been installed already by BT.

Then I have just phoned BT to complain and after finally getting through to make a complaint they cut me off!

Have I got reasonable grounds to claim through small claims - do I use their complaints system first.
    Sales wanted to cancel my order and then reorder normal broadband but I’ve said don't bother and I’ll be cancelling the phone line too. :mad:
  • Hello.
    The gas company have been doing pipe work on all houses on my road, putting in new pipes running up to the meter. In my house, the meter is under the stairs, and they have been trying to get it moved and running a new pipe to a new meter in the garage. (It isn't a small job).

Their work has been delayed, had lots of issues, and I'm into my 4th day off work because their latest effort isn't providing the boiler with enough pressure.

I know this has nothing to do with 'deliveries', but could the same apply?
    Other people were done in a day - but I have had to take 4 days off so far.

I'm a self employed taxi cab driver, so it costs me a lot of money.

Thanks.
    SC
  • BG has a code of practice agreed with your network provider
    http://www.britishgas.co.uk/content/dam/british-gas/about%20us/pdfs/look_how_we_are_doing.pdf

Compensation if your gas is cut off
    If your gas supply is cut off because of an
    unplanned gas interruption, it will be restored
    within 24 hours. For every complete 24 hour
    period without gas you’ll be compensated
    as follows:
    • Domestic customers: £30

I hardly think they can claim that they expected and planned to cut you off for 4 days.
  • Flyboy152
    Flyboy152 Posts: 17,118 Forumite
    BG has a code of practice agreed with your network provider
    http://www.britishgas.co.uk/content/dam/british-gas/about%20us/pdfs/look_how_we_are_doing.pdf

Compensation if your gas is cut off
    If your gas supply is cut off because of an
    unplanned gas interruption, it will be restored
    within 24 hours. For every complete 24 hour
    period without gas you’ll be compensated
    as follows:
    • Domestic customers: £30

I hardly think they can claim that they expected and planned to cut you off for 4 days.

But I would be at all surprised if they argue that it was.
    The greater danger, for most of us, lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low and achieving our mark
  • On Nov. 12th, 2012, I booked air tickets on eDreams.com, a Spain based online seller. I followed the instruction to make payment on Nov. 13th and email bank transaction proof to eDreams with Booking Number stated in the Note. On Nov. 14th, eDreams received my payment of 2761.15 Euro. eDreams acknowledged that on Nov. 20. Things are so clear and nothing is arguable. But, since Nov. 20th, eDreams kept asking me to pay extra money because of fare increase or to get refund. eDreams kept ignoring my request of sending me my purchased tickets right away.

Till today, eDreams still does not deliver my purchased tickets. I now urgently need help on the following issues:

1. How can I force them to deliver me my purchased tickets right away?
    2. I booked flight that will leave on 19:45pm with higher price because my schedule doesn't let us leave earlier. They tried to change my flight to the early morning "due to the avaibility from airlines". How can I enforce them to deliver what I need, that is the evening flight?
    3. I have been totally stressed out by their wrongful customer service. They intentionally neglected the facts but insisted me to pay for extra cost. I have been highly stressed out by the whole communication and kept busy consulting for help and searching online for knowledge to write to them to protect my rights. Because of this long stressful process, I have been lost sleep and apettite which caused me to have blooding nose, painful liver, swelling lymph along both side of my neck, and so. I was so stressful communicating with them days and nights that I even didn't have time to take good care of my son. All schedules are screwed up. The uncertainty of my flights made my trips can't be planned ahead and so. I'd like to know what can I claim for the mental harassment/abuse from the intentional wrongful customer service.

I found online that there are many people were mistreated by eDreams.com. Many cases are even worse that mine. I strongly wanted to fight with eDreams to stop their criminal actions, not only for myself, but also for all consumers. Many people have heavy daily workload and don't have time and energy to fight with them. The only hope is to get most money back. That could be the reason that they can do it again and again. Some online complainer said the company even asked buyer to provide copy of both sides of the credit card and passport "in order to get the payment transaction to be completed"! It is not a small company. I just could not believe they can do these kind of customer "service" many years.

Your advice will be highly appreciated!
  • Flyboy152
    Flyboy152 Posts: 17,118 Forumite
    AmyDE wrote: »
    On Nov. 12th, 2012, I booked air tickets on eDreams.com, a Spain based online seller. I followed the instruction to make payment on Nov. 13th and email bank transaction proof to eDreams with Booking Number stated in the Note. On Nov. 14th, eDreams received my payment of 2761.15 Euro. eDreams acknowledged that on Nov. 20. Things are so clear and nothing is arguable. But, since Nov. 20th, eDreams kept asking me to pay extra money because of fare increase or to get refund. eDreams kept ignoring my request of sending me my purchased tickets right away.

Till today, eDreams still does not deliver my purchased tickets. I now urgently need help on the following issues:

1. How can I force them to deliver me my purchased tickets right away?
    2. I booked flight that will leave on 19:45pm with higher price because my schedule doesn't let us leave earlier. They tried to change my flight to the early morning "due to the avaibility from airlines". How can I enforce them to deliver what I need, that is the evening flight?
    3. I have been totally stressed out by their wrongful customer service. They intentionally neglected the facts but insisted me to pay for extra cost. I have been highly stressed out by the whole communication and kept busy consulting for help and searching online for knowledge to write to them to protect my rights. Because of this long stressful process, I have been lost sleep and apettite which caused me to have blooding nose, painful liver, swelling lymph along both side of my neck, and so. I was so stressful communicating with them days and nights that I even didn't have time to take good care of my son. All schedules are screwed up. The uncertainty of my flights made my trips can't be planned ahead and so. I'd like to know what can I claim for the mental harassment/abuse from the intentional wrongful customer service.

I found online that there are many people were mistreated by eDreams.com. Many cases are even worse that mine. I strongly wanted to fight with eDreams to stop their criminal actions, not only for myself, but also for all consumers. Many people have heavy daily workload and don't have time and energy to fight with them. The only hope is to get most money back. That could be the reason that they can do it again and again. Some online complainer said the company even asked buyer to provide copy of both sides of the credit card and passport "in order to get the payment transaction to be completed"! It is not a small company. I just could not believe they can do these kind of customer "service" many years.

Your advice will be highly appreciated!

This thread is for people who have waited in for deliveries they were expecting, but didn't turn up. You need to post this on the consumer rights board.
    The greater danger, for most of us, lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low and achieving our mark
  • John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 26 November 2012 at 12:20PM
    Hello.
    The gas company have been doing pipe work on all houses on my road, putting in new pipes running up to the meter. In my house, the meter is under the stairs, and they have been trying to get it moved and running a new pipe to a new meter in the garage. (It isn't a small job).

Their work has been delayed, had lots of issues, and I'm into my 4th day off work because their latest effort isn't providing the boiler with enough pressure.

I know this has nothing to do with 'deliveries', but could the same apply?
    Other people were done in a day - but I have had to take 4 days off so far.

I'm a self employed taxi cab driver, so it costs me a lot of money.

Thanks.
    SC

On the BBC there has just been a programme, with a "know your rights" section that covers interruption of energy supplies to domestic consumers It is about 30 minutes in from the start of episode 11 and features a middle aged no nonsense professor:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00zkz1k

It would appear that an interruption of 4 days could entitle you to some more compensation. Just missing a time slot gives rise to some compensation.

My bet is that your supplier "British Gas" (?), is not responsible as the gas is supplied by a so called independent company, possibly also part of the Centrica group, and the job has been subcontracted to yet another company to do the actual work. It is the master supply company that is responsible for the statutory compensation, not the company sending you the bill.
    The contact information should be on the back of your bill.

Prepare for a potentially long haul time wise, but confirm all conversations by putting the details in writing.

Good luck and let us all know how you get on.
  • PeteW
    PeteW Posts: 1,212
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Does this also apply to supplier arrangements rather than deliveries? Ie, Virgin Media who constantly fail to turn up to their 'engineer appointments'.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback