PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Internal solid wall insulation and wallpaper

Options
We are buying a house with solid brick walls which are covered in woodchip wallpaper since the 70s. I'm wondering if I need to remove the wallpaper before internally insulating them or whether this will save me a job.

Any experience?

Comments

• need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 22 July 2018 at 8:07PM
    Options
    What do you intend insulating the walls with?

Experience of removing woodchip its a !!!!!!...but just wondering why insulate internally

if the woodchip has been painted score it before soaking with plenty of water to remove with a scraper or if you can hire a wallpaper stripper its a little easier and quicker

Although don't forget this is the house buying board,if you want specific DIY or renovation/decoration advice you might be better placed asking the question on that board
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,721 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Having previously owned a 1930's solid brick walled house, and now nearing completion of building a near passive house standard house, I would not want to return to such a poorly insulated, cold and expensive to heat dwelling. There would have to be something REALLY special about it to even tempt me to look at it.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    ProDave wrote: »
    There would have to be something REALLY special about it to even tempt me to look at it.
    Perhaps this house is really special to the OP, though?

Looking at houses on Rightmove, very few would tempt me to look at them either, simply because they don't have anything like enough land. However, the fact that people buy and sell these properties means that my preferences aren't theirs.

Some people get a buzz from period property, or from a particular location.One can't usually move a house or even add more land to it, but at least a solid walled property can always be insulated to some degree.

I could just about afford a Passivehaus-type property, stitting on a typical new build plot, but nothing would entice me to swap for that in a month of blue moons. That doesn't make my priorities better or worse than anyone else's; just different.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What insulation are you looking to use? What do their supplier say? The only things I can think would require the paper to be removed are if the insulation is stuck to the wall with adhesive, or if a vapour barrier of some kind is required.
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,068 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Options
    We internally insulated our 1930's with a wooden structure plus celotex and overlaid with plasterboard. We didn't remove all the original wall covering where there had been no damp. Although it was hard work at the time, it has made this house very insulated and I'm glad we did it, especially at the moment were it's lovely and cool in the house.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure