Getting back on the MFW Wagon

Comments

• greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    I'd call that rather fantastic progress! :T :T
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • earthgirl
    earthgirl Posts: 3,762 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Woop that's great!! Well done!
    Good luck on your next stage.
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House:www: Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again :j

Progress not Perfection
  • Needhelpsaving
    Needhelpsaving Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Good morning!!

The recent money moves have spurred me on to make more of a dent in the mortgage. OH is still working overtime and i'll be holding the fort at home.

In between entertaining LO's, I have found some clothing pieces that I can list on ebay (mainly first size baby clothes) and I have agreed a sale of our moses basket to a friend of a friend - so the covers will be washed this week in preparation for the collection next weekend.

In money news;

I went into town and opened DD2 savings account this week (finally!) and have set up a monthly standing order to match DD1's.

I have purchased most of DD1 school uniform for next term using this months family allowance, just need to get 2 cardigans (have to have school logo on), shoes and PE pumps, which are either wrecked or outgrown.

This months grocery shopping has gone awry - I need to reign this in again next month and think a return to Aldi with a limited stock range may help with this. However, I will need to sit down tonight to see what we need to get us through to payday and stick to the list to stay *just* within budget.
    2022 Target - Reduce new mortgage balance after house move - Part 1 (Ported) Starting balance £39,982.12 currently £37,242.19 Part 2 Starting Balance £101,997.88 currently £96,197.38 (as at 19/04/2022)
  • Needhelpsaving
    edited 22 July 2018 at 11:56AM
    Good Morning.

I haven't posted for a few days, but have been reading other diaries for inspiration.

My phase of ebay procrastination ended last night and I sat and prepared the listings last night, ready to go live today. There has been no word from the lady who asked to buy the moses basket, so I have aksed friend to double check whether she still wants it - otherwise I will list this on ebay too.

Other than this there have been a few money spends, all neccesary;

- An xmas present for God Daughter (in sales) - please don't berate me for using the *Christmas* word ... it was a bargain! :p

- Food shop at Aldi (£48.00) based on meal plan. This included a couple of maths books 99p each for DD1 to do over summer holidays to keep progressing with the work she has done this year.

- New swimming costume for DD1 - this won't be needed until winter, but as she does swimming lessons every week, it will be needed and I picked up a two pack in the summer sales for £5 :D

Other than this, I have been looking out for free/low cost things to do over the summer and have got the free swim times for two local swimming baths, already took DD1 to the local library for some books (this will be a common feature over summer hols as they do craft clubs as well), plus we have a selection of parks/playgrounds within 30 minute drive of home that we can rotate for days out.

I just need to have a think about activities I can possibly add to these trips so they don't become a chore after a couple of weeks - i'm thinking home made 'bug bingo' cards, collecting leaves to make a collage that kind of thing . . . or maybe I am overthinking this a little :o

Anyway, better get lunch started otherwise there will be mutiny :D
    2022 Target - Reduce new mortgage balance after house move - Part 1 (Ported) Starting balance £39,982.12 currently £37,242.19 Part 2 Starting Balance £101,997.88 currently £96,197.38 (as at 19/04/2022)
  • Needhelpsaving
    Hi!

The summer holidays have begun and it appears that my attempt at a lower cost food shop was naive. With having some family over the weekend for lunch, along with OH and DD1 being at home, its like a plague of locusts hit the house. The store cupboard (which I thought would get us through this week) has been run down to odds and sods, so I have done a big shop this morning to cover us for lunches this week and food for next week.

I have hidden some snacks as these seem to be the first to go from the cupboards (i'm guilty of that too) and have a full pantry, freezer and fridge (including beers for OH). Total cost £112.00. The meat from the butchers has been portioned and frozen, just need to breadcrumb some chicken for nuggets - this is a job for tonight.

Other than groceries, no money has been spent. The first two days of the school holidays have been spent at home/in the garden. Tomorrow we are going to a museum as OH is off work for 3 days, entry is free and we have planned to be back home for lunch + take own snacks. Only spends should be parking and one activity that charges (£2).

Thursday will possibly be a free swim session and Friday we are joining family members for lunch to celebrate a birthday, so there will be spends there.
  • earthgirl
    earthgirl Posts: 3,762 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Sounds good Nhs, apart ftom the locusts!

I bulk out the basic activities with:
    free events in churches, sports centres etc
    Walks -invite a friend for more fun
    Free museum visits
    Free gardens visits
    Play dates
    Film nights
    Puzzle afternoons
    Learn a magic trick/song/dance and perform
    Loads of colouring and crafty things

Love summer hols! Enjoy xx
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House:www: Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again :j

Progress not Perfection
  • Needhelpsaving
    Good Morning!

Yesterday was a very low spend day :T We spent a total of £10.59 for the entire day (£6.60 on parking in the city centre and £3.99 on a treat for DD1). The museum was great and we all enjoyed the morning perusing the exhibitions.

We took our own snacks and drinks and came home for lunch as the day heated up. We stayed at home until early evening when it cooled down, then we headed out for a family walk.

Today possibly be a trip to a park, but i'm cautious of the heat with the LO's, so this will be done either this morning or later in the afternoon. Anticipating another LSD today, as some local parks are starting to charge for parking :(
  • Needhelpsaving
    Moses basket sold for £15, collected and money sent to Mortgage as an OP.

It was payday yesterday, no money moves have been made yet, OH and I will sit down tonight to allocate money for the month ahead etc.
  • Money moves made for both of our July pay. We managed to make another large OP, but as we scraped money from every account/sofa cervice possible, there won't be many more like this in the future.

I have checked the accounts today and we have just dipped under £60k. This has been made up of my SMP, OH clearing down his personal account (apparently you don't spend much when working so much OT), OH OT pay and the regular payment.

OH was glad of having 3 days off to recharge his batteries, he has really worked a ridiculous amount of hours last month. Bless him.

August will be about bringing the focus back to family life and enjoying the summer with the girls.

So far the summer holidays have been cheap, but very creative - Den building, crafts, park trips etc. The most expensive day was the museum trip at just under £11 :money:

Meal plan has been done for the week ahead and a click and collect grocery shop has been done to be picked up tomorrow (£43), just need to stay on the straight and narrow :D
  • Needhelpsaving
    Good Morning!

The sun is shining and the washing is flapping on the line :D

The budget is ticking along as planned. I spent last night meal planning for next week and have done an online shop as we have a few things on at the end of the week/weekend and if I shop when i'm tired/hungry/stressed the bill will be higher than the £2 delivery fee.

I signed up to zeek to get a Clarks voucher - total saved through reduced cost voucher and £5 new joiner offer was £7.20 :money::D The shoe shopping will be rolled into next week.

Today we will be popping out to buy DD1 school cardigans (have to have logo on). I have £35 of family allowance left to cover these.

Have earned around £22 from cashback apps/SB/survey sites this week and it has been put into the birthday pressies pot, as we have some family birthdays coming up.

Right, better head off to shop before they get busy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure