Options
2»

Comments

• Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Westie983 wrote: »
    Coinstar takes between 8 - 10 % off the total paid in so maybe an alternative option that doesn't charge.

Westie983

In the U.K. 9.9% for cash and 7% for a donation to a charity variable by location.

So what other alternative option that doesn't charge is available except for counting and bagging the coins already discussed?
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Anthorn wrote: »
    So what other alternative option that doesn't charge is available except for counting and bagging the coins already discussed?

Some of the larger bank branches have coin counting machines where you can just tip the loose coins in and have the money added to your account. HSBC have one in my city centre branch, and I'm sure I've read on here before that some NatWest branches have them.

Metro Bank also have these machines, and they even let non-customers use them.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    EarthBoy wrote: »
    Some of the larger bank branches have coin counting machines where you can just tip the loose coins in and have the money added to your account. HSBC have one in my city centre branch, and I'm sure I've read on here before that some NatWest branches have them.

Metro Bank also have these machines, and they even let non-customers use them.

Assuming of course that all bank branches have these machines given that bank branches are sometimes rare or non-existent depending on location. For some of us the fee is the cost of convenience for those of us who don't want to manually count and bag and the plus is coin counting machines in local supermarkets. Here's a link I found:
    https://www.money.co.uk/guides/whats-the-best-way-to-cash-in-spare-change.htm
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 21 July 2018 at 10:09PM
    Options
    Anthorn wrote: »
    In the U.K. 9.9% for cash and 7% for a donation to a charity variable by location.

An alternative option could be to continue doing what is already being done, use a bank or paying in machine that doesn't charge to pay coin but this thread is not about the counting and bagging the coins it was about the purpose of a bank Giro Book.

If you are a treasurer of a charity account you wont want to lose money by using one of these machines, and again some charity/business constitutions refrain you from donating to other charities, so that could be another reason to avoid this type of machines.

In addition to the accounts being audited as per business and treasurer accounts are at the end of each business year, and would have to explain and correctly document the charges applied between the two totals.

HSBC and Natwest and Metro (at a minimum) have coin counting machines in their banks, which does the same job, we don't know what bank the OP toddler group uses but if the OP has a personal account with any of these banks they can pay in and withdraw notes to be able to pay into the toddler account if its not with any of these banks. **edit I notice this has been mentioned already.

Yes it could be easier for some but as this is a MSE forum, so pointing out the cost that the machines you suggested as directed.

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Again, when I was paying in the proceeds of the school fair, I worked out how much each 'full' money bag should weigh, and then rather than counting I'd fill by eye and check the weight. that's what they do at the bank and PO, and it saves a good deal of time.

Yes it's slightly tedious because you have to separate by coin values, but unless you're going to just tip it into a coin machine it's probably the fastest way. Put the money bag on the scales, add coins until you reach the right weight, close bag and set aside.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport