Student question about tax

Hi all,
This may be a stupid question, however I am very unsure about what to do.
Next week I am starting a summer job for my uni holiday. I am additionally currently on a casual work list for a hospitality company. However I have done no work for the hospitality company after 6th April, so does this mean I need to tick the 2 job option on a HMRC new starter form?
I don't want to pay more tax than necessary, nor do I want to be accused of trying to dodge tax (even though i will earn nowhere near to 11,500)
Sorry if this is a little confusing.

Comments

• CakeCrusader
    CakeCrusader Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    You need to tick the box which says that this is your only job as you'll end up being taxed at 20% until it's sorted out. They may pop you on emergency tax for the first month or two, but you'll be able to get this back if you earn under the limit.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    They may pop you on emergency tax for the first month or two, but you'll be able to get this back if you earn under the limit.

Emergency tax code is the same as the basic personal allowance (although may be on a week 1 or month 1 basis) so it's very unlikely that any tax would be paid anyway.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-codes/emergency-tax-codes
  • dawyldthing
    dawyldthing Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    Even if you do pay tax contact them after April next year as if you don't earn over £11800 a year it is roughly you'll get your tax back
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport