Which supermarket sells the best avocados?

I tend to only ever get my avocados from Asda. They seem to have more poor quality ones than good ones. Where else would you recommend finding good quality avocados? Where do you get yours from?

Comments

• Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I get the 4-pack (sometimes upgraded to 6) Avocados from Aldi. They tend to be smaller than average, and are "ripen at home", which requires that they be put on the window sill for a couple of days.

I find them fairly reliable, and I'm getting better at judging when they are ready to eat.

Usually £1.40-£1.65 for 4.
  • RainbowDrops
    RainbowDrops Posts: 4,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I'm lucky enough to have good local grocers / veg stalls where you can get 4-5 avos for a pound. Perfectly ripe.
  • cullet
    cullet Posts: 129 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Try Tesco,the ones from Zimbabwe are nice !
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    A bit hit and miss as with anything where you have to cut into it, you cannot fully tell what it is like until you have made that first cut.

I look for ones that are not bruised or damaged and not too over ripe to the feel.
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,568 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    I tend to only ever get my avocados from Asda. They seem to have more poor quality ones than good ones. Where else would you recommend finding good quality avocados? Where do you get yours from?

Morrisons wonky avocados are nice and also cheap. They are normally only available to me onlinethough, so I go through a spurt of having loads and then not any.
    I have just bought some recently from Quality save. They had sweated a bit in the plastic whilst trying to ripen them though. Cut one open this morning and although only a little squishy it was already bad inside. The next one was perfectly ripe, but not a great deal of flavour to it.
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £103.76 as of 6/4/24
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • sarahj1986
    sarahj1986 Posts: 1,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Morrisons or Ocado seem to be the best my husband says
    :money::rotfl::T
  • amiaspden
    amiaspden Posts: 134 Forumite
    The Morrisons Wonky ones are generally good. I have had one bag where they all went from rock hard direct to rotten, but that was back when the weather was cold and my last two bags have been 100% perfect.
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,897 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Morrisons wonky avocados are nice and also cheap. They are normally only available to me onlinethough, so I go through a spurt of having loads and then not any.
    I have just bought some recently from Quality save. They had sweated a bit in the plastic whilst trying to ripen them though. Cut one open this morning and although only a little squishy it was already bad inside. The next one was perfectly ripe, but not a great deal of flavour to it.
    They usually always sweat and rot in plastic. I put mine on the windowsill and they usually ripen in a couple of days and never go rotten.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • AprilLady
    AprilLady Posts: 932 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I quite like the Sainsbury's Ripe and Ready ones - I seem to have more luck with them than others!

I hate it when you plan to have an avocado for lunch or whatever and then cut into it and find your lunch plans are ruined by the state of it! :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure