Previous debtor was at my address

Options
Hi all, I'm new today. I have a question and wondered if anyone can give me some advice please. I moved into my rented house a year ago. Ever since then I have been receiving debtors letters for previous tenants. I have phoned the companies involved as I have no idea where these previous tenants are, to tell them so. I keep getting these letters and I'm now worrying if it is affecting me and my credit rating, due to the address.
Does anyone know about this or has had a previous experience? I need to know what to do about this just in case. Thanks.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    It doesn't impact you. Just return to sender or bin.
  • Destabilising
    Options
    It won't affect you at all. Just write on the envelope 'Not known at this address, return to sender' and the company should take your address off of their mailing list. If not, get back in contact with them and log a complaint about it.
  • Narkynewt
    Options
    No it won't effect you, unless you have he same name and dob!
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It will not affect you, your credit rating is only seen by you only, lenders see your credit history.
  • cjmillsnun
    Options
    The only caveat is that debt collectors and bailiffs may call at the house. You should politely but firmly inform them that the people they are looking for have moved out and left no forwarding address.
    2.88 kWp System, SE Facing, 30 Degree Pitch, 12 x 240W Conergy Panels, Samil Solar River Inverter, Havant, Hampshire. Installed July 2012, acquired by me on purchase of house in August 2017
  • PaulW922
    PaulW922 Posts: 1,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you do get a visit you may be asked to show ID to prove you are not the previous creditor. You do not have to do this and there will be many here who will advise you to tell the callers to get lost. However, if I were a debt collector or a court bailiff and someone say that to me I might suspect they were in fact the person I was after. So you may consider it in your interests, should this happen, to cooperate with them. Your call of course
  • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    Options
    PaulW922 wrote: »
    If you do get a visit you may be asked to show ID to prove you are not the previous creditor. You do not have to do this and there will be many here who will advise you to tell the callers to get lost. However, if I were a debt collector or a court bailiff and someone say that to me I might suspect they were in fact the person I was after. So you may consider it in your interests, should this happen, to cooperate with them. Your call of course
    Send all correspondence back with RTS marks on envelopes, this should prompt a home visit by the enforcement team, then the best advice is to do the above.
  • Jackie62
    Options
    Thanks for all your advice everyone. I have been returning post for a year with RTS and also calling some of the debt collecting companies who write to my address. They are mostly fine, but some of them just keep sending! I am now putting post in the bin. If any bailiffs call, I will be very polite and inform them of the facts.
  • Car1980
    Car1980 Posts: 301 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Unless one of the letters was in a brown envelope and was a court claim
    I wouldn't hold my breath on anyone calling round. Debt collectors rarely bother unless you happen to live around the corner from their office. Making home visits is not profitable for them.
  • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    Options
    Car1980 wrote: »
    Unless one of the letters was in a brown envelope and was a court claim
    I wouldn't hold my breath on anyone calling round. Debt collectors rarely bother unless you happen to live around the corner from their office. Making home visits is not profitable for them.
    I agree that someone calling round for a £250 debt is very unlikely owing over 2k could possibly trigger a skip trace which will require a visit to known addresses, this is then an added cost to the debtor account. I disagree that home visits are not profitable to them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure