Daughter going to uni - so.upset

Options
1235»

Comments

• hello007007
    Options
    Congratulations OP on your daughter going to university.

When my children leave home, I shall be happy for them but sad, as it will be the end of a beautiful era. I am sure I'll cry plenty too.

Sad I know, but I am already preparing for this moment. I'm teaching the kids life skills such as how to cook and clean. How to be safe and self defense. How to manage money and above all to respect everyone regards of race/religion etc...

I know if my children were confidant and independent when they reach that age, I won't worry so much and they will be successful in life.

The last thing I want is for them to live at home until they are 30 - not that I would love that but because I want them to enjoy life and get the most of it.
    The rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer - I was in my late 20s when I figured out what this meant.

I neither take or enter agreements which deal with interest. I dont want to profit from someone's misery.
  • pleasedelete
    pleasedelete Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You get used to them going. You have a tidy house. You can do what you want when you want. No need to provide meals for anyone etc

Then they graduate and come home! If you want pain then try living with a newly returned graduate. You will long for an empty nest.
    June challenge £100 a day £3161.63 plus £350 vouchers plus £108.37 food/shopping saving

July challenge £50 a day. £ 1682.50/1550

October challenge £100 a day. £385/£3100
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Just to point out that this thread was brought back to life after no updates since early April by a journalist asking for case studies.
    That post has since been removed.

The OP has not logged on to MSE since the middle of June.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Just to point out that this thread was brought back to life after no updates since early April by a journalist asking for case studies.
    That post has since been removed.

The OP has not logged on to MSE since the middle of June.

Just as well. It was a silly, over-dramatic post. IMHO, of course. :cool:
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    pollypenny wrote: »
    Just as well. It was a silly, over-dramatic post. IMHO, of course. :cool:

I was thinking about the OP.
    The last post she made didn't sound too positive, so I hope she's OK..

Shame on that reporter (Sophie Cridland) who brought this thread back up instead of going through the correct route with MSE and starting a new thread.
  • lillie421
    lillie421 Posts: 60 Forumite
    Options
    It is hard to let your children go but it is something that needs to be done as a parent. You should be so proud of her and happy as this is clearly something she wants to do so if she is happy, you're happy. Just try to keep yourself busy and think of all the positives. You will still get to see her! Good luck :)
  • Charityworker
    Options
    Well i thought id let you know how im getting on. My daughter went to uni as planned in September. My parents took her there in their car without me because i was too upset. That evening she was takking to me on messenger and sending me loads of photos of her room etc. Then i went there a few days later to visit her and we went shopping and had lunch. I still miss her terribly. I try not to think about it as i get too upset. I went to the doctors after she left and he prescribed me with antidepressants. Ive felt a lot better since they kicked in. Shes coming home for Christmas. Im sure the first year will go quickly.
  • The_Ang
    The_Ang Posts: 277 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Best wishes for her. I can imagine how it feels. I don't have any daughter, only 3 sons. They are homeschooled. The feeling to let him leave the nest is quite hard, I think. however, the time flies, right?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure