IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

BATH RUH - POPLA Appeal Unsuccessful

Comments

• BoutTime
    BoutTime Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    KeithP wrote: »
    Of course the Claimant has to conform with the protocols.

You do not have to believe the Claimant when he says his LBC conforms and would be unwise to do so. Check it yourself. There is a link to the Pre-Action Protocols for Debt Claims in the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread.

Post your draft response here if you wish.

Hi. Thanks for your response. I just wasn't sure if the Pre-Action Conduct and Protocols had been superseded by the Pre-Action protocol for Debts and Claims. I've referenced both in my letter. Is it OK to post it here on a public forum?

Thanks again.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,614 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Have a look at the sample LBC robust responses linked from post #2 of the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread to get ideas about how to refer to the Practice Direction and protocols.

Yes you can post your draft letter here - suitably anonymised of course.
  • BoutTime
    edited 13 August 2018 at 2:11PM
    ParkingEye Legal Department
    ParkingEye Ltd,
    PO Box 565,
    Chorley,
    PR6 6HT
    Reference: ********** DD/MM/YY

Dear ParkingEye Legal Department,

I write to you in response to your Letter Before County Court Claim (LBCCC) dated DD/MM/YY.
    Firstly, this alleged debt is disputed in the strongest terms and should ParkingEye wish to pursue this alleged debt through the court it will be defended vigorously.

Further, whilst the LBCCC claims to be compliant with the PRE-ACTION PROTOCOL FOR DEBT CLAIMS it most certainly does not. In fact, Paragraph 7.1 of this Pre-Action Protocol clearly states "If a matter proceeds to litigation, the court will expect the parties to have complied with this Protocol. The court will take into account non-compliance when giving directions for the management of proceedings". As such, I request you provide a revised LBCCC containing all the information you are obliged to provide under the Pre-Action Protocol, Not limited to but including the following:

Ref Practice Direction - Pre-Action Conduct and Protocols Paragraph 6 (a)

- The basis on which the claim is made. Details of the contract which is alleged to have been breached. How the alleged contract was formed.
    - A summary of the facts.
    - How the amount is calculated.

Ref the previously applicable Pre-Action Protocol for Debt Claims Paragraph 5.1 and 5.2

- Provide Photographic Evidence of the signage as it appeared on the day of the alleged breach of the alleged contract. This must include the exact geographical location of each sign, dimensions, and the exact content of each sign relevant to this alleged breach of the alleged contract. Photographic evidence to support the above is also requested.
    - LBCCC states "Staff Resident". Please provide photographic evidence to show the alleged breach and identify the exact signage which ParkingEye believes forms a contract.

With regards to the LBCCC, Further Information Paragraph 4, Please note that whilst I wish to resolve this matter outside of the courts, based on the information available to me at this time I am unable to propose an Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR). I have no idea of how a sum of £80 has been calculated. At no time was my car parked inside any of the six parking bays identified by the adjacent signage as requiring a parking permit. At no time did I prevent any other vehicles from either entering or exiting any of the bays. The car!!!8217;s engine was running the entire time due to a flat battery, and at no time was the car left unattended.

Finally, Paragraph 5 states that "The sum detailed in this Letter of Claim is in line with guidelines set out by the British Parking Association (BPA). The BPA Code of Practice states that any charge based on breach of contract must be a genuine pre-estimate of loss". I have no idea how ParkingEye Ltd or Bath Royal United Hospital have suffered loss in this instance be it financial or otherwise. I therefore consider the sum of £80 to be punitive.

Each correspondence received so far from ParkingEye, whilst addressed to MR ***** ***** have in fact begun with "Dear Sir/Madam". Please do not send me another template letter. Please ensure this letter is read in full and all the requested information is provided to me in accordance with the aforementioned Pre-Action Protocols.

Sincerely,
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,614 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 August 2018 at 2:13PM
    The BPA Code of Practice states that any charge based on breach of contract must be a genuine pre-estimate of loss.

Does it?

Not sure where you found that template, but parts of it are very old.

That letter also clearly identifies the driver.
    Is that intentional?
  • BoutTime
    KeithP wrote: »
    Does it?

Not sure where you found that template, but parts of it are very old.

That letter also clearly identifies the driver.
    Is that intentional?

I've already told them I was driving in my initial appeal before I was aware of this thread. And in my unsuccessful POPLA Appeal too.

How about.....

Finally, Paragraph 5 states that “The sum detailed in this Letter of Claim is in line with guidelines set out by the British Parking Association (BPA)”. The BPA Code of Practice states that “If the parking charge that the driver is being asked to pay is for a breach of contract or act of trespass, this charge must be proportionate and commercially justifiable. I have no idea how ParkingEye Ltd or Bath Royal United Hospital have suffered loss in this instance be it financial or otherwise. I therefore consider the sum of £80 to be punitive and unjustifiable.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,577 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 13 August 2018 at 5:20PM
    BoutTime wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply. So I understand from reading the LBCCC Fightback Guidance thread
    What, the thread written in 2013, FIVE YEARS AGO that isn't linked in the NEWBIES thread as it's far too old to apply now?

Start again. Read the second post of the NEWBIES thread or any other ParkingEye LBCCC thread (advanced search for those words). Base your reply on other threads and concentrate on there being no contract, no clear signs relating to the space used (not a staff/permit bay) nor evidence of where the car parked.

Unlike the NEWBIES thread, the ancient LBCCC reply thread is not a sticky and is not regularly updated. It's only linked by Crabman in his sticky, and I was planning on asking him to remove it; noticed it only yesterday.
    do I have to point out where their LBCC does not comply with the PD and list all of the points?
    No, because it does comply.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Hi - Sorry if I am hijacking the thread as I cannot see how to start a new thread.

Earlier this year I discovered that Vehicle Control Services have applied to the county court in Jan 2017 and won undetested on what I understand they claim is 3 parking tickets.
    Apparently I overstayed at Berkley Precinct car park (Ecclesall rd, Sheffield). more than once. They say that a ticket was left on a windscreen on another occasion at another location.

They say that they also hold another 3 tickets. They did not group the 6 together in the county court which seems like an odd thing.
    One of which occurred late one night when I was delivery driving for an Indian Takeaway who for years had had 3 permits for a dirty little space behind the takeaway. It was time to renew and VCS only sent 1 permit. I did email an appeal with this explanation but they would not bend. The manager was also ticketed that night and he said he was not paying. So neither did I.

I had received a Parking Charge Notice for £60 when they alleged my car entering and overstayed.
    At that time I read forums FAQ's on the subject saying to ignore it as it is unenforcable as was the opinion of the papers at the time so I did. This was the advice in the papers and online at that time.

I had moved from the address where any paper work would have gone well before that. A lot of mail had been returned to sender when I left so they knew that I was not receiving mail.

The letter has a company called Vehicle Control Services Ltd.

I would like to challenge the CCJ as I did not know that this action was being taken and had no opportunity to defend myself. Is this possible?

Any advice appreciated please.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,577 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Sorry if I am hijacking the thread as I cannot see how to start a new thread.
    You use the NEW THREAD button back on page one.

It's also in the NEWBIES thread at the end.

There is also an explanation of how to use the forum, in Crabman's sticky thread. All these are findable, with just one click back (see my signature for where to click).

Please edit and delete your post.

You need to read post #3 of the NEWBIES thread, about set asides.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • BoutTime
    edited 13 August 2018 at 6:06PM
    Thanks for your response. I later realised that the guidance contained on the fightback thread is now out of date. I have read the newbies thread and have updated my response to Parking Eye above.

Having already appealed to both PE and POPLA without the use of these threads, I am already a little further down the line and perhaps a little closer to a court appearance. It seems PE have tweaked their LBCCCs over the years and they now contain much more information required by the PD. But I still feel they haven't once provided any evidence of my car actually being parked in a bay requiring a permit, and therefore they havent provided a summary of the facts as required by the PD. They simply state that I am in breach of contract. For me, there is no contract.

At this point I feel all I can now do is send in my response and wait to see if PE proceed with the court route. Having read some of the other letters on this thread, mine looks a little amateurish to say the least.
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,051 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Although PE may have started the legal process, what have you done in relation to contacting the Hospital ( PALS etc) are you aware of the NHS parking principles for staff, patients and visitors?
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure