PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    maryb wrote: »
    There's always Nursie:eek:
    :pSsshhhh!!!!!!!!!!!! Let sleeping monsters lie.

I'm in the market for a new waterproof jacket so am haunting the aisles of TK Maxximus in my random moments. I am also stocking up on good clothes at the Everything 50p Chazzer where today's haul consisted of an as-new pair of cords and a tailored linen blouse, both currently reposing on the clothes airer having been through the washer.

I am selectively hoarding (don't tell the KM crowd on me, please ;)) by which I mean I am acquiring clothes of classic cut and style, preferably in natural materials, and keeping them by me for future need. With few exceptions such as intimates and waterproof jackets, I hate spending good money on new clothes, I like buying good clothes for about 1-5 % of their original retail price.:rotfl:

I'm good for candles and tea-lights and tinned supplies, but another 10 litre water carrier, or even two, would be pleasing. Anyone sees these on sale in one of the national chains, please publicise it here.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    My recent preps have been really vital ones..
    Visit to Harvey Nicks - eyebrows waxed - facial makeover - new makeup.
    Ok just tar & feather me now ;):p
    I'll get back onnit next week lol honest.
  • September's going to be a write-off prep-wise for me; I'm working this weekend, then going flat out all week to prepare for the Great Family Holiday, which kicks off for two weeks next Saturday. Not sure whether all of the Offspring (except the one that can't come) have yet sorted out their flights & insurance etc., but they are all technically grown up now, so shouldn't need much more than reminding... I hope!

But emergency stores are reasonably high, there are one-portion meals in the freezer for He Who Is Staying Behind, and pet & livestock food is all stocked up. The only fly in the ointment is that the beans are coming thick & fast, and the apples are piling up on the lawn, and I'm not going to have time or space to process all of them! But will give lots away to the neighbours instead.
    Angie - GC April 24 £367.67/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • GreyQueen
    :) A little research online last night revealed a so-called fisherman's waterproof jacket with a rating of 3000 HH at Aldee for £12.99. I shall go check that out in person later today.

It seems to me that, however much one spends on a waterproof jacket, they all start seeping water in through the shoulders after about 4 years. My present B3rgha@us is about that age and won't stand up to a good soaking any more, fine for lighter levels of precipitation.

thriftwizard, hope you and the offspring enjoy a lovely holiday.

Today's preptastic matters involve re-supply of AA batteries of the alkaline nature for the torches and mebbe a few other bits & bobs, will be having a quick trawl around the shops before heading up to the allotmentino for the remainder of the day. Autumnal prepping on the allotment is ongoing.

I joke that I'm haymaking, when what I am actually doing is drying off a substantial quantity of weeds etc with a view to getting them as dry as possible, then bagging them in paper spud sacks and burning them. These are mainly non-compostables like couch grass and horsetails btw, not useful stuff.

Potash is such a boon on the lotties, plants do insanely well on what was the previous autumn's bonfire patch. I don't want to let that goodness escape down to the green waste section at the tip, which is where the non-compostables had been going.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • My Berghaus is14 years old! second hand from DD1 and has been reproofed at least 3 times and is still going strong is just much too big now. I'm finding problems getting a replacement with the same hood type, this one has poppers and a zip which come up to cover your chin and mouth from the hem of the jacket but then has Velcro flaps on the bottom of the hood which you fasten over the top of that which cover your nose too and make it very windproof on blustery days. The newer Berghaus models just have a long zip and elastic adjustments to alter the fit of the hood at the sides. The old one has a wire stiffened peak to the hood to which keeps the rain out of your eyes so I'm on the hunt for a 'new to me' but possibly second hand long Hill Walker which is what this model is.
  • There's a thought for the day - after a quick scan of Aldi website thinking "I'll just take a quick look at that fisher jacket".

Errrm...couldnt find it....

Their website isn't exactly well-organised. Clothes still split into womens and mens and not sure which "sex" to look under. They are a mix-up and not in price order. Followed by noting all the work trousers are labelled as "workmen trousers".

So - duly offput all round later:rotfl:

Hello 21st century - perhaps you'd better introduce yourself to Aldi. :rotfl:. John Lewis just has...
  • GreyQueen
    :) Lyn, may I ask what product you use for re-proofing your jacket, how much, where bought from etc?

Just off out on some errands, back in an hour or so. GQ x
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • We use NIK-WAX GQ, they do a 'wash' which cleans well and a 'proofer' which is very effective and really does re-waterproof to a high standard. We get ours from MILLETS which is the closest outdoor shop to us but they will all stock these or similar products. They are both washing machine products and we've always got good results with no adverse happenings to the washing machine and later washes of clothes therein! from memory it's somewhere between £7 and £10 but I haven't bought any for a couple of years so the price may have risen. You get more than 1 re-proofing per bottle so quite economical.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    GQ I've just used the same stuff as Lyn to re-proof my Berghaus. We bought it last week at a branch of The North Face. I think it was 11.99. We already had some of the "tech wash" but hadn't known the re-proofer existed until just recently! It's definitely made a difference. I was fed up with having chilly damp shoulders :D
  • GreyQueen
    edited 2 September 2017 at 11:44AM
    :) Just in from my erranding, thank you both for the advice. I have several outdoorsy chain stores accessible to me, so will shop around. I like the idea of re-proofing better than re-purchasing as the jacket is still structurally sound. Thanks again.

Heads up, Wilk0 have got their own-brand veggie seeds at 50 % off and they're pretty reasonable at full retail. I've just been making out like a bandit up there. Sow-before dates are a couple of years' hence in most cases, so an excellent opportunity to plan the 2018 veggie patch and save ahead.

ETA; just been reading Bergh@us's own website about cleaning and re-proofing their products and they are recommending NikWax products but say that the garment, once the re-proofer is on, should be tumble-dried on low as the heat activates the proofer.

I haven't got a tumbler but Mum has, so will have to sound her out about doing my jacket over at her house one day.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills