Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Marianna84
    • By Marianna84 10th Aug 18, 8:49 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Marianna84
    Car insurance - using married name
    • 10th Aug 18, 8:49 PM
    Car insurance - using married name 10th Aug 18 at 8:49 PM
    Hello
    I was hoping someone could help. I got married last year and haven't changed my documents to my married name. My car insurance is due for renewal so thought I would do it now.
    I have had my renewal quote come through and looked into insurance quotes using my maiden name. I have stated that I'm married and even used the title Mrs and it comes back as 300 as soon as I change my surname it increases to over 450!! How is this possible to increase so much?! I'm the same person! I wanted to change my name but don't think it's worth it!!
    Has anyone else had this experience? I thought being married was supposed to reduce your car insurance!!!!!
    Thanks
Page 1
    • Zorillo
    • By Zorillo 10th Aug 18, 10:29 PM
    • 427 Posts
    • 280 Thanks
    Zorillo
    • 10th Aug 18, 10:29 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 10:29 PM
    Changing the name might be a fraud indicator so they're trying to price you out? I would speak to them, get them to confirm the premium is affected by you changing your name, and then threaten them with a discrimination complaint.
    • TheProfessional
    • By TheProfessional 10th Aug 18, 10:31 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    TheProfessional
    • 10th Aug 18, 10:31 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 10:31 PM
    I wonder if it's something to do with cookies on your browser. Try clearing them before re-quoting
    • Marianna84
    • By Marianna84 10th Aug 18, 11:29 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Marianna84
    • 10th Aug 18, 11:29 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 11:29 PM
    Thanks.
    I did speak to one company and they waffled on about how I had changed my marital status. They didn't seem to realise that I was already recorded as being married!! She claimed they couldn't do anything and it was just the computer. I'll try and see what happens if I suggest making a complaint. Maybe that's better when I'm with them already??
    • Marianna84
    • By Marianna84 10th Aug 18, 11:30 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Marianna84
    • 10th Aug 18, 11:30 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 11:30 PM
    I'll try that too! Thank you
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 11th Aug 18, 7:33 AM
    • 28,005 Posts
    • 11,381 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 11th Aug 18, 7:33 AM
    • 11th Aug 18, 7:33 AM
    Its not just the cookies on the computer though. They can gather a lot of information from your computer and internet connection.

Several quotes with similar details, but some major discrepancies all seemingly from the same computer. Alarm!!!
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,848Posts Today

9,791Users online

Martin's Twitter