PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Just brought a place, plumbing issues...

sorry if this is the wrong thread!

6 weeks in new place and we have a ongoing plumbing issue. It relates to pressure, heat and a scalling issue?

Now plumber we have had round, said previous owners would have known about this? They have been out of order?

Also, anyone recognise the issue? We are being told possibly a heat exchange issue, which is going to set us back £300-£500 and then hopefully that will recitify? Showers are full of scale so boiler might also need looking at...

This, on top of the leaking bath tub, onto lounge ceiling has already set us back a fair bit in repairs.

Oh the joys of home ownership!! Haha! (we were told we had got a bargain, that bargain may soon turn into a fair price!!)

Thanks for reading, any plumbers with advice? Anyone else having minor issues having moved home recently?

All the best.

Comments

• Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 4 July 2018 at 9:05AM
    Did you have the plumbing checked before buying?

No, previous owners not out of order, unless you asked them specifically and they lied.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • westernpromise
    westernpromise Posts: 4,833 Forumite
    The plumbing issues probably arose when you brought the house from the previous location. Bringing houses from one place to another often does that.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,468
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    You can't prove they knew about it. There has to be a Day One when the problems start so unless he has been called out before and told not to do any repairs, there's nowt you can do.

"Buyer beware" - up to you to find issues, not really for them to tell you unless you've specifically asked or think they've lied about something.

There's another board for advice on repairs, faults, maintenance type issues, etc.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Morata_
    Morata_ Posts: 182 Forumite
    we turned the taps on, hot water was running. The boiler has been serviced within the last 12 months. (pre us buying!)
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Morata_ wrote: »
    We are being told possibly a heat exchange issue, which is going to set us back £300-£500 and then hopefully that will recitify? Showers are full of scale so boiler might also need looking at...

The heat exchanger can get full of limescale in such areas.

However it can be cleaned out rather than replaced. The [STRIKE]Engineers[/STRIKE] Idiots that most companies send out are reluctant to do anything but repalce however. Even on a boiler care plan it took me three times before someone did this (got a "senior" engineer that time). Just the level of underqualified staff most companies send out these days. Boiler worked for another 8 years after that and then I moved house.
  • Morata_
    Sorry, i will go to the other board, prob not the right place, thanks to those who have posted!
  • Carrot007
    Forumite
    Morata_ wrote: »
    This, on top of the leaking bath tub, onto lounge ceiling has already set us back a fair bit in repairs.

I doubt you had a leaking tub. That would have been obvious from the cracks. Maybe leaky seals and the previous occupant knew to be careful? (or did not care)

I had bodged "wet" room with shower done without tanking ot anything sane, tiles just on the floor boards! I also paid 5k over the survey price, though 8.5k under what I had agreed, you can only push delusional people so far! But if it's thje house you want....
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Might as well get a water softener installed at the same time or the problem will reoccur.
  • Carrot007
    Forumite
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    Might as well get a water softener installed at the same time or the problem will reoccur.

I find most lime issues overblown and easily surpassed with minimal maintainance.

Though I'm sure many companies would be happy to charge you for things you don't need.
  • Morata_
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    I doubt you had a leaking tub. That would have been obvious from the cracks. Maybe leaky seals and the previous occupant knew to be careful? (or did not care)

I had bodged "wet" room with shower done without tanking ot anything sane, tiles just on the floor boards! I also paid 5k over the survey price, though 8.5k under what I had agreed, you can only push delusional people so far! But if it's thje house you want....

This was the issue, also the taps where very loose and water just ran down them. As you can tell, no basic technical plumbing skills here...something I do regret not having!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure