Barclays Closed Account and CIFAS marker placed

Comments

• Dr_Crypto
    Dr_Crypto Posts: 1,211 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Doesn’t your son have proof that the buyer collected in person?
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 3 October 2019 at 6:58AM
    Bartman90 wrote: »
    His account was compromised meaning some unauthorised payments were on his account, so he reported them and had the account frozen and the card stopped. Upon waiting for his new card he split with his girlfriend and never received it. Had to change address etc and get new card delivered taking a couple of weeks and in the meantime this took place.

The buyer was coming to England a couple of days after the postage was deemed undelivered by my son due to unable to contact the delivery company. So my son allowed the buyer to collect the items out of good will; know he had lost the postal fees and items he sent. The items were large yes and my son wanted to save as much money on postage as well all do.

Liar liar pants on fire.

No wonder they closed his accounts, you could drive a truck through his excuses. And if he is being taken for a ride, he should've reported it to the police.

And not Sting...
  • Bartman90 wrote: »
    Let’s make is easier for you. If money was sent in to your account without your permission no matter who it came from.

You didn’t spend any of the money.
    You never even knew it was in there.

Are you now liable for fraud? Hmmm. I don’t see how I become liable for fraud.

Short answer - yes.

Long answer - yes, but in bold.
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    He put money in your account without mentioning or needing it? Mmm?

He has no proof of sales or postage of these lost 'items' and conveniently had exact duplicates to hand over to someone who just happened to be travelling from Spain and could come and see him?

He was unlucky enough to have a fraud on his account, then a missing bank card, then lost items, then some more dodgy transactions all at the same time?

If he is legitimately selling a number of large value items doesn't he have business records?

Just a few questions which make the story from son sound like a fairy tale.

By default, its hard to see how fit in but if that is the story you have to put forward surely you see why it has credibility issues.

Assuming of course this isn't a wind up
  • The_Fat_Controller
    The_Fat_Controller Posts: 2,006 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 3 October 2019 at 7:56AM
    How can a buyer collect goods from your son if he has already sent them to Spain and they were not delivered ?

Never heard some many porkies in a post for ages, I think you have to face the fact your son is considerably less than honest.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    How can a buyer collect goods from your son is he has already sent them to Spain and they were not delivered ?

Never heard some many porkies in a post for ages, I think you have to face the fact your son is considerably less than honest.

And you have no bank account either money laundering or being a money mule.
  • A buyer can collect goods that were already sent because my son had more than one.

It’s very easy to assume it’s my son who is the liar for you. But he is the one now out of pocket and the victim. Instead of you posting on here to try and blame him I came on here to seek help.

Yes he transferred me the money and didn’t mention it to me until the funds were already in my account. I don’t see how this makes him guilty. As explained he had no way to withdraw the money etc.

The receipt he has is from a company that never delivered the goods. It’s basically a dud receipt which proves nothing. It’s an invoice made up and printed off same as anyone can do.

Your misreading there was unauthorised transactions on his account. So he reported it. Bank was frozen. He didn’t have a bank card for couple weeks due to splitting with partner and changing address etc. No more dodgy transactions since.

Yes he lost items in post. I’m pretty confident this is fairly common. It’s not considered RARE.

He had extra of what he sold so allowed them to collect when they came over to U.K. instead of having to spend more money on sending them and possibility of a repeat scenario where they don’t show. Was the most sensible outcome for him at the time he made that decision.

What proof can he have or should he have taken before he let them collect? Receipts etc it’s not a shop or business sale.
  • garth549
    garth549 Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    What's happened is as clear as mud I'm afraid.

Something sounds very dodgy here. The bank wouldn't shut down your account and give you a cifas marker unless they strongly suspected fraud.

It sounds like you and/or your son received stolen money from a fraudulent account (knowingly or unknowingly) in return for high value goods and the bank thinks you're complicit in this.

What were the goods? Sorry but it does sound like your son is involved with something illegal or dodgy.
  • vacheron
    vacheron Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Sorry OP, but you must see how this looks...

Your Son:

Has no proof he ever had these items.
    Has no proof he ever sold these items.
    Has no proof the buyer even exists
    Has no proof he ever shipped these items.
    Has no proof the courier he used even exists
    Has no proof that he had replacement items
    Has no proof he ever sold these replacement items.
    Has no proof that they buyer collected these replacement items.

There is proof he received a number of large transactions into his bank account from an unidentified source and then immediately transferred all of it to another person.

I'm sorry if you are indeed an innocent party, but this is exactly the kind of (deliberately) un-provable story that someone who has knowingly entered into something dodgy would make up after they realised that they had been rumbled.

Does he have ANY evidence (text messages, e-mails, photos, CCTV of the equipment being collected by the courier or buyer on either occasion) that would support his story?
    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
  • xlnc99
    xlnc99 Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    As said before in this thread too many holes in this story. Doesnt add up.

The value of the goods do not seem expensive yet someone travelled from spain to the UK just to pick up some goods worth £250 or whatever it was. So he wasted money on a ticket to pick up something that was so important. He transferred money to your account without you knowing it! He basically transferred it because he knew it was dodgy

Think you should start the story again and tell us what really happened then maybe you can get some good advice on how to proceed
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure