PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

To those selling in these difficult times Part Deux. AKA sellers support network!

Comments

• hookbeak
    hookbeak Posts: 28 Forumite
    edited 24 May 2009 at 9:56AM
    We've been on the market 9 weeks, and only had 3 viewers. however our 3rd viewers rang the estate agent yesterday saying they wanted a 2nd viewing that afternoon if possible.

Rushed the kids home from swimming and tidied like mad, then i took the kids out to see Night at the Museum 2 to get out of the way.

Came home and my wife says they want to put in an offer :)

They were so keen that they were very disappointed the estate agent was shut already and they couldn't do it till Tuesday.

Theirs is sold, the house we want is now empty (vendors already moved to another) so tuesday can't come quick enough!
  • pawpurrs
    pawpurrs Posts: 3,910 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Sounds positive.
    What was the film like thinking of going to see that today is it Good?
    You have no idea, the level of the offer then?
    Pawpurrs x ;)
  • mbga9pgf
    mbga9pgf Posts: 3,224 Forumite
    How are you sellers managing your pricing? Are you still holding out for unrealistic prices or have you come round to the fact you need to drop prices to sell? Not a dig, curious question, as round here, asking prices arent changing much...

The only ones selling are the ones that are dropping 20%+.... Surely if you are moving up, there is no reason why you cant negotiate 20% off up the chain and thus save a few bob in Stamp duty/EA fees as well as the cost of the move?

Eggs/Suck I know...
  • shirlgirl2004
    shirlgirl2004 Posts: 2,983 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Unfortunately 20% off a 700k house is a lot of money and sellers don't want to "lose" that much money so it doesn't always follow that you will get more off.
  • hookbeak
    hookbeak Posts: 28 Forumite
    pawpurrs wrote: »
    Sounds positive.
    What was the film like thinking of going to see that today is it Good?
    You have no idea, the level of the offer then?

The film was a bit rubbish actually !

as for the offer, don't know - they were *very* keen though so we shall see...

To be honest, just to actually get some interest cheered me up !
  • mbga9pgf
    Unfortunately 20% off a 700k house is a lot of money and sellers don't want to "lose" that much money so it doesn't always follow that you will get more off.

Better 20% today than 30-40% in 2 years time!
  • shirlgirl2004
    shirlgirl2004 Posts: 2,983 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    mbga9pgf wrote: »
    Better 20% today than 30-40% in 2 years time!
    Absolutely but you try telling them that!
  • mbga9pgf
    Absolutely but you try telling them that!
    I love doing! ;)
  • elliebobs
    elliebobs Posts: 453 Forumite
    I'm not allowing myself to get excited each time that I have a viewer now! A lot of houses round my way were SSTC or SSTS but have now become available again. I fear that I'll still be here in 9 months time!

Hope everything has some luck after the bank holiday; and if not, I at least hope that the weather is good to you! It's gorgeous here in Lancs

Ellie
  • thifty
    thifty Posts: 1,027 Forumite
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but why are you looking at houses when you haven't even put yours on the market yet? All you're doing is wasting the sellers time and effort. I remember when we were selling our house and had a viewer, we'd go through the ritual of tidying everything up and stopping the kids from playing (AKA messing the house up), we'd cancel any plans and used to wait around for the viewer to arrive and half of the time they'd not bother to turn up. When they did turn up, we'd ask them if they were FTBers or had sold their houses and were always disappointed if they said they had just put their house up for sale. In the end we had so many 'carpet treaders' that we told the EA to refuse people who had not sold their houses/were under offer already.

Now that we're in a housing crash and recession, and viewers are gold dust, all you're doing is raising people's hopes and dashing them.

My advice would be to research the area, look at houses on rightmove/EA websites, and to only look around a house when you've sold/under offer and are serious about the house your viewing.
    I can see your point in a way but considering the amount of effort two of the sellers hadn't put in then I dont think I have wasted their time, especially as the ea showed around the first! We have been looking online for ages, driving around the area we want to be in, which to be honest is a ten minute walk away. i don't want to be in the situation of having to find something quickly when (and if!) my house sells. We have 2 kids and I don't want to rent and have to move twice. We have also found the ea pictures on right move pretty misleading and I like to see houses for real so I can get an idea of what spaces look like. We are not intending to waste people's weekends but think if ea didn't use tricks like fish eye lenses then we would visit fewer propeties!
    Cross Stitch Challenge Member ?Number 2013 challenge = to complete rest of millenium sampler.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure