hmc Posts: 2,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    hmmm might go up though might it? dont know what to do now lol
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I went to where my car's registered and picked up my form today, doing it tomorrow as I need it in my hand soonest so it's done.

Mine's £130 for 12 months.
  • John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can renew over the internet,a pretty well instant service.

In the old days (ie 1960's) the increase used to apply from "tomorrow", so that would create a queue in the (then) 24 hour post office just off Trafalgar Square,
  • Dave_C_2
    Dave_C_2 Posts: 1,827 Forumite
    Options
    Being pedantic I know, but Martin should know better, the proper name is Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) and not Car Tax. This is a tax on the emissions that the car produces, not a tax on the car.

At least he didn't call it Road Tax, which was abolished in 1936.

Dave
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Joe_Horner wrote: »
    Just got the new one for mine (12 months) and there was a 100% increase in cost :(

Then again, seeing as it was free last year, 100% of nothing is bearable :p

If we are being pedantic, 100% of nothing is nothing. ;)
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • united2000
    Options
    I bought a car in February which was second hand.

It has tax remaining on it until April, which is after the budget.
    I had to pay the dealer the tax for the year, so because it doesnt run out until April they just wrote a cheque to the Post Office and gave it me to hand over when i renewed the tax.

If the tax does up in the budget, would it be ok to 'top up' the cheque with cash when renewing at the Post Office?

So for example the car tax was £100 currently but goes up in the budget to £110. Can i give the Post Office the £100 cheque and then £10 cash to make up the difference?
  • wellsm
    Options
    I realise this is contentious but if you want to drive a guzzler then you know you're going to pay more tax. If you don't want to pay so much tax then buy a smaller, cheaper-to-tax vehicle.

Yes, we all pay too much tax but the government doesn't choose your car for you - or, at least, not yet!
  • welshmike_2
    Options
    Let's have some specific examples.
    e.g. my wife's car is a Vauxhall Corsa Club, A/C, 1363 CC, CO2 142 G/KM, first registered 10/04/2007.
    VED for April '11 to end March '12 (2010/11 tax year) was £125 and will be £130 (2011/12 tax year) when renewed this month. The budget will specify what the VED will be for the 2012/13 tax year. My guess is £135.
    http://www.bytestart.co.uk/ved-rates-2011-2012.html
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    united2000 wrote: »
    Can i give the Post Office the £100 cheque and then £10 cash to make up the difference?
    Of course you can.
  • robbies_gal
    robbies_gal Posts: 7,895 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    i cant mine runs out end of april

i only driv e a1.4 polo and it cost 215 a year already!
    What goes around-comes around
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport